• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate increase due to inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate increase due to inflation

Question

If any of you have been working at a client for over a year, and you are happy with the rate, have you ever told the client the rates have gone up due to inflation?

i've just realised that although I'm happy with my rate, if I don't up my rates in line with inflation, i'm actually earning less money than this time last year. which is a bit rubbish really.

jim

Geez....did you just complete Economics 101.

Just re-negotiate your rate rise at the end of the contract. If your after the real cash you should use each contract as a step up charging more for each contract.

Comment

no need for sarcasm

i'm onto a good thing with this contract. it's easy work, and i have other things happening outside of the 9-5 contract that require my attention, so i don't want to price myself out.

i just wondered if it was something other people had used to justify a rate rise, other than conventional arguments (ie having knowledge of company / procedures / being able to work quicker than a new resource that has to get up to speed etc).

i'm not particularly fussed about a quid or two extra an hour, it's more the principle of earning less than i was a few months ago for doing the same work.

jim
      Last edited by jim2406; 10 June 2007, 21:30.

Comment

Or you take the viewpont of your client - I'm paying this guy a set amount to deliver a piece of work. If he isn't adding any more value to it than what he is contracted to deliver, why should I pay him more? Or, equally, if he hasn't factored medium term inflationary values into his original rate, why should I pay more to bail him out?

I agree incremental raises are nice things to have, but the manijmint want a quid pro quo to justify them spending more of their money. That prices have gone up is not it, nor is it their problem.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406
          no need for sarcasm

i'm onto a good thing with this contract. it's easy work, and i have other things happening outside of the 9-5 contract that require my attention, so i don't want to price myself out.

i just wondered if it was something other people had used to justify a rate rise, other than conventional arguments (ie having knowledge of company / procedures / being able to work quicker than a new resource that has to get up to speed etc).

i'm not particularly fussed about a quid or two extra an hour, it's more the principle of earning less than i was a few months ago for doing the same work.

jim
          Problem is that inflation is nothing to do with client. You could give it a try - risk is that client will think you being silly so less likely to take your other arguments seriously.

Best way I found is get another job - best form of negotiation there is. Or at least pretend to have another job.

Comment

I agree with what is said. The inflation that you suffer is your problem, not the client's.

Inflation is only their problem if your competitors put their prices up as well.

If you have a good relationship with them have a quiet word. They might agree to pay more. After all, inflation is only 3%

Comment

never heard so much non sense. It this a joke thread. Do you then ask for a pay rise everytime the BOE increase rates. Does the client lower your rate because oil prices go down or the FTSE drops 2% in one day.
              Are you for real?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                never heard so much non sense. It this a joke thread. Do you then ask for a pay rise everytime the BOE increase rates. Does the client lower your rate because oil prices go down or the FTSE drops 2% in one day.
                Are you for real?
                I have worked at clients who gave all contractors an across the board rate cut, take it or leave now. Their justification was that market rates for IT staff had fallen in the industry and now the sames skills could be sourced more cheaply. This was M$ by the way, who that year had reported record profits (again). This was back around 2001/2002.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  I have worked at clients who gave all contractors an across the board rate cut, take it or leave now. Their justification was that market rates for IT staff had fallen in the industry and now the sames skills could be sourced more cheaply. This was M$ by the way, who that year had reported record profits (again). This was back around 2001/2002.

HTH
                  I'm at M$ now. I work here for the honour.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

HTH
                    You don't think that "an across the board rate cut, take it or leave now." and "had reported record profits (again)" might no somehow be related?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X