• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland the crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland the crap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6739007.stm

Scotland is the worst performing small country in Western Europe, according to a report by business leaders.

The Federation of Small Businesses' annual Index of Wealth compared 10 countries on economic performance, employment rates, health and education.

Scotland's life expectancy rate was a major factor in it coming bottom.

Is Scotland that bad? I have never been north of the Watford Gap.

Hello Dim,

how's life ?

All the best,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Scotland is the worst performing small country in Western Europe, according to a report by business leaders.

The Federation of Small Businesses' annual Index of Wealth compared 10 countries on economic performance, employment rates, health and education.
      And they didn't even include gingerness or football disability!
      Last edited by wendigo100; 11 June 2007, 08:58.

Comment

Scotland hs some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever experience. I love the place and the vast majority of Scots don't get all prickly-ar$ed when they realise I'm English (unlike the North Welsh).

I can also be a very sparse place to live. I have a friend who lives in Dallmally and he drives an hour to Glasgow to take the kids swimming - it's the nearest public baths.

I wouldn't mind retiring to somehwere like Oban.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          Hello Dim,

how's life ?

All the best,

Milan.
          Not too bad mate. All effort now goes on Plan b and an early exit from the IT contracting malarky.

Hope the tape changing industry is seeing you all right.

I still pop by every now and again to post utter tulipe.

Comment

glad to hear, good luck with it all

yep tapez r great

Milan.

Comment

You have to remember that there are more people in Manchester than in Scotland. A lot of it is highlands so very sparsely populated. Despite this they have managed to invent some of the most important things we come to rely on.......and have some of the most amazing scenery in the world...they also have good salmon fishing...

And never been north of the Watford Gap...you traveller you....

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                Scotland hs some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever experience. I love the place and the vast majority of Scots don't get all prickly-ar$ed when they realise I'm English (unlike the North Welsh).

I can also be a very sparse place to live. I have a friend who lives in Dallmally and he drives an hour to Glasgow to take the kids swimming - it's the nearest public baths.

I wouldn't mind retiring to somehwere like Oban.
                I went to school in Oban!
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                  You have to remember that there are more people in Manchester than in Scotland. A lot of it is highlands so very sparsely populated. Despite this they have managed to invent some of the most important things we come to rely on.......and have some of the most amazing scenery in the world...they also have good salmon fishing...
                  ... and midges great feckin swarms of midges

What did they invent btw?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This part makes for interesting reading "The FSB Scotland index examined countries with fewer than nine million people, including Norway, Iceland and the Republic of Ireland. "

So I'm in Norway what is so different then... well attitudes towards exercise are the most obvious. Tell a Norwegian you don’t exercise is like telling him her you don’t have a job. They so respect their health it make’s for a wonderful environment to be in/amongst, you even find yourself encouraged to emulate it in some form. Even last night we tool a walk up the hill behind our house, only 1000 feet, the pathways were full of folk and I was ready for that pasta when I got back. You’d never see that in Scotland! Even if you did the walk it would be a King prawn curry for afters...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X