• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Card 0% on Balance Transfers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card 0% on Balance Transfers

I have 2 credit cards where I have transferred debt to use the 0% rate. Both card companies have changed the date that the 0% rate expires.

This makes the adverts saying for example "0% on balance transfers until September 2008" misleading.

Has anyone else come across this?

Originally posted by Moose423956
    I have 2 credit cards where I have transferred debt to use the 0% rate. Both card companies have changed the date that the 0% rate expires.

This makes the adverts saying for example "0% on balance transfers until September 2008" misleading.

no - name & shame.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
      no - name & shame.
      Capital One and HSBC.

Comment

Capital One and HSBC.
        You could try their "loyalty dept" - MBNA have this - as soon as the period is about to expire I used to phone them up and ask what they could do - usually it would be about 1.9% for a futher 6 months as opposed to the 14/15%.

From the CC co point of view it's better to make a little rather than lose it all to another co.

Phone them up with the attitude " I'm going to transfer to another card unless you can offer me a deal " - see what happens it's worth a try.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Hi Moose - my missus had this yesterday and thought the HSBC deal till April 2008 had ended after only 6 months - on reading the letter again it was advising that 0% on purchases had finished, not the balance transfers.

I misread it as that at first so could be the same in your case

Comment

Originally posted by swissmike
            Hi Moose - my missus had this yesterday and thought the HSBC deal till April 2008 had ended after only 6 months - on reading the letter again it was advising that 0% on purchases had finished, not the balance transfers.

I'll double check. Haven't got the letter with me.

Comment

Just watch out for the catch.

Nowadays they all charge a "transfer fee", usually about 3% of the amount transferrred, so you still end up paying interest, just in a different way.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Just watch out for the catch.

Nowadays they all charge a "transfer fee", usually about 3% of the amount transferrred, so you still end up paying interest, just in a different way.
                I think it was 2% when I took them out, but it was still saving me a lot on what I would have paid in interest. If you keep on top of it, it's a good way of managing small debts. I'll keep moving them around until they're paid off. It's known as "credit card tarting".

Comment

Originally posted by swissmike

Ooops. Apologies to HSBC and CapitalOne. It is indeed 0% on purchases that are ending. I must learn to read properly. Sorry.

Comment

This was pointed out on the radio the other day as one of the ways the credit card companies are trying to recoup the lost income from reduced charges.

The balance transfer is 0% for the <large bold font>1 year</large bold font>. Purchases are 0% for <tiny plain font>3 months</tiny plain font>.

Comment

Working...
                    X