• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job test can catch racists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job test can catch racists

This test supposedly catches out racist attitudes, even if the subject tries to hide them. Pardon me, but I thought that racist action or speech was a crime, not subconscious attitude?

Indeed, someon may have unconsciously acquired some such attitude or response, but be consciously against it, and so deliberately never express it in word or deed: why should he be "caught as a racist"? Surely such a person is actually honourably and merits praise if anything, not censure, punishment, and being, well, discriminated against?

Or in fewer words, is it a crime to think something wrong, without saying or doing wrong?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

What test? Post a link so we can have a go
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      What test? Post a link so we can have a go
      It's on the C UK news page. It looks like some academics have come up with something and are trying to flog it. I'm not sure it will find many buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        This test supposedly catches out racist attitudes, even if the subject tries to hide them. Pardon me, but I thought that racist action or speech was a crime, not subconscious attitude?

Indeed, someon may have unconsciously acquired some such attitude or response, but be consciously against it, and so deliberately never express it in word or deed: why should he be "caught as a racist"? Surely such a person is actually honourably and merits praise if anything, not censure, punishment, and being, well, discriminated against?

Or in fewer words, is it a crime to think something wrong, without saying or doing wrong?
        This is why I have gone back to wearing the tinfoil-lined balaclava.

Comment

It's just the start. Nu Liebour have already been training some clarivoyants who can see into the future and they are going to attach them to a machine that records thier visions and plays them back for the enforcement community.

Using this technology they will be able to look into the future to see when people are going to commit crimes and acts of terrorism and apprehend said individuals before they can perform said crimes. They will then punish them accordingly for the crime they were about to commit. It's foolproff guvnor, nothing can go wrong.......

Comment

And we used to joke about the term "Thought Police"

Comment

I've had a look at that test, showed it, and had a talk to a couple of the trick cyclists at the university. No names, no pack drill, but they'd heard of the basis behind it and recon it is utter bollox. So if you get refused a job on the basis of that test you might be best off not working for such a dumb-ass, anal retentive, bunch of inbred onanists.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                It's on the C UK news page. It looks like some academics have come up with something and are trying to flog it. I'm not sure it will find many buyers.
                Greg, I thought you'd have welcomed it with open arms, and asked them to build add-on tests for the detection of Nazis.

Thankfully its unlikely to be adopted by any private sector company, especially in the City as I can't see many of the senior management that actually hire you passing the test themselves.
                But just think, those distant childhood memories of shooting Robertson's jam jar lids with your airgun could make you unemployable in the public sector.

Comment

Is it something like what the LAPD used to have in their recruitment process?

They ask you to go out and shoot a coloured gentleman and a rabbit.

If you say "Why a rabbit?", you're in.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass
                    Greg, I thought you'd have welcomed it with open arms, and asked them to build add-on tests for the detection of Nazis.

Thankfully its unlikely to be adopted by any private sector company, especially in the City as I can't see many of the senior management that actually hire you passing the test themselves.
                    But just think, those distant childhood memories of shooting Robertson's jam jar lids with your airgun could make you unemployable in the public sector.
                    I see nothing about Nazis here - I don't much care what people think, it's what they do that bothers me. Looks like a pile of crap promoted by academics and being picked up by the Telegraph.

I can't see the public sector having to do anything with this (although my experience is limited to NHS) as they don't have much truck with psychometrics (or they can't afford them), and as I said before - it's a pile of crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X