• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-screening and references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-screening and references

hi
    I'm back contract hunting and already on day one I've got 2 different agencies ringing me up and telling me about a role and then asking for references before I even hear about an interview.
    I usually say "I have references and name for all work going back 6 years but I will only give them to the client on receipt of a job offer"
    One was an obvious junior recruiters who said "well we've hit a brick wall and I can't even put you forward".
    I dont want agencies hounding previous managers and mentioning me, they'll just stop giving references.

So whats the story are they full of RVD (Recruiter Verbal Diarrhea) should I bin them?

Im a bit suspicious of the 2nd call no client company name, no job spec. but first one was a large agency.
    And whats with agencies cant they read. Im looking for a contract in london...."hi i have a permanent job in bristol"

b

Originally posted by coflc
    I usually say "I have references and name for all work going back 6 years but I will only give them to the client on receipt of a job offer"
    One was an obvious junior recruiters who said "well we've hit a brick wall and I can't even put you forward".
    They have indeed hit a brick wall. All they want is leads, and you won't give them any.

Contract? What contract?

So whats the story are they full of RVD (Recruiter Verbal Diarrhea) should I bin them?
    Oh, yessssss

Im a bit suspicious of the 2nd call no client company name, no job spec. but first one was a large agency.
    Are they more honest?

And whats with agencies cant they read. Im looking for a contract in london...."hi i have a permanent job in bristol"
    They can read but they don't care. They might as well try (it on).
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Remember the scene from the Matrix with the kid with the floating spoon?

"There is no job".

Comment

Recruiter VD

yes as they say on the farm
        if you stood in it....
        and its warm and quisy.....
        if it looks like bull ****
        and it smells like bull ****
        then you know...maybe it is bull ****

I read in prev posts that someone sent them long list of all prev jobs but only gave the other agency info not the actual end client

Definition of desperate recruitment agency ...as seen by me the first year I came to london: Arrange to meet agent for coffee..i'm early so go to their "office" walk in and find 4 guys sitting in tiny room round small desk with 4 crappy pcs and psycho doodle on the whiteboard. Never seen a guy jump up and rush me out of a room so fast.

Comment

Working...
        X