• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

11,000 UK troops have gone AWOL since Iraq war

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11,000 UK troops have gone AWOL since Iraq war

By: Telegraph

Almost 1,000 soldiers are STILL absent without leave (Awol), according to figures from the Ministry of Defence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/nawol111.xml

Why would anybody with a normal mind fight in Iraq or Afghanistan?

And the goverment doesn't chase them because it is an illegal war

You ain't seen me, right.

Comment

I met a support guy at one of my customer’s sites. He is in the TA and just back from Iraq. His description portrayed the situation far worse than even I imagined. The officers are playing it softly softly with the ranks because the ranks are too afraid of leaving the compound and going out on patrol. It is now down to volunteers only for patrols, most men just want to get out and back home.

The MOD are one of the government’s most professional when it come to lying
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        I met a support guy at one of my customer’s sites. He is in the TA and just back from Iraq. His description portrayed the situation far worse than even I imagined. The officers are playing it softly softly with the ranks because the ranks are too afraid of leaving the compound and going out on patrol. It is now down to volunteers only for patrols, most men just want to get out and back home.

The MOD are one of the government’s most professional when it come to lying
        Are they lying for their own sake or just forced to toe the line?

A relative of mine - quite a senior officer - describes it as another branch of the government spin machine.

Comment

War is politics by other means.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            War is politics by other means.
            And vice versa. Especially for the French, who don't have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros
              And the goverment doesn't chase them because it is an illegal war
              Well that's a bit of a turn-around for Neu Lieber since it wasn't much more than 12 months ago they were prosecuting contientious objectors

Comment

So lemme see if I got this right. 11,000 people were happy to take the Queens shilling BUT when it came time for them to actually do their duty the fecked off?

And to think, this is a volunteer force at that!

Cowards and traitors would be a pretty good description of these morons

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  So lemme see if I got this right. 11,000 people were happy to take the Queens shilling BUT when it came time for them to actually do their duty the fecked off?

And to think, this is a volunteer force at that!

Cowards and traitors would be a pretty good description of these morons

Mailman
                  That's a bit harsh!! Signing up to the armed services is one thing, being sent to fight an illeagl war that the British people do not support is another.

Remember the Falklands? We had the UN declaring the illegality of Argentina's actions and a mandate to use force plus the overwhelming backing of the public. That's why we had no-one going AWOL during the Falklands.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                    That's why we had no-one going AWOL during the Falklands.
                    Or the first Gulf War in 1991, as far as I remember anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X