• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of contract etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of contract etiquette

Hi All

Bit of advice wanted.

I have a few weeks left on my contract and the agent has indicated that they would like to keep me but the client does not have approval yet. I indicated I would be interested in staying and haven’t heard anything since (nearly a week ago. The client hasn’t said anything to me.

In the meantime I have had a couple of calls and have an interview set up.

I wouldn’t mind staying, ut at the same time if something else came up I would be happy to go elsewhere. I obviously don’t want to be out of work so I am currently working on the assumption that whoever gives me an offer first gets me.

My Q is, should I tell the agent/my client that I am going for other jobs? Also what do I say when I disappear for a few hours to attend an interview? Are people honest or do they make trips to the dentist?!

Don't ask don't get -
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy
      Hi All

My Q is, should I tell the agent/my client that I am going for other jobs? Also what do I say when I disappear for a few hours to attend an interview? Are people honest or do they make trips to the dentist?!
      I usually try for a lunchtime or 17:00 interview slots, most employees realise what is going on. Of course this will only work in somewhere like the City - for long distance interviews take the day off
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Tell the client that, as you have no firm comitment from them to an extension, you are actively searching for alternatives. Tell them that due to this you may have to take time out for interviews (time that they will not be charged for).
        Be honest, be a pro.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

This happens quite a lot.

When I've got two weeks left I always tell my agent and employer that I will have to start looking for work and explain (if true) that I'd love to stay but as there is no contract on the table I need to start looking. Never had a problem with this approach.

Comment

How many people get an extension to their contract in the last week of their current one?

This always seems to happen to me. Usually because of some approval from someone who doesn't even know you who controls spending etc.

They never seem to be able to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
              How many people get an extension to their contract in the last week of their current one?
              Never had it any other way.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

This always seems to happen to me. Usually because of some approval from someone who doesn't even know you who controls spending etc.

They never seem to be able to plan ahead.
                You can usually get a feel for the likelyhood of extension... are others being extended or are they shedding contractors
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A couple of times - the last day.

One colleague got a year's extension during his leaving do (at the end of his last day).
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy
                    My Q is, should I tell the agent/my client that I am going for other jobs?
                    Of course!

There are ways of telling them of course, so be diplomatic, but if the client wants to keep you, it focusses their minds to come up with something a bit quicker than the day before you finish.

You're not a permie so they cannot hold it against you. You are expected to be looking for your next bit of work.

If your agent were any good they'd be looking for you too, in case you aren't asked to extend.

Comment

Working...
                    X