• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend a VS.Net 2005 source code library?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a VS.Net 2005 source code library?

Can anyone recommend a VS.Net 2005 source code library?

I am looking to store and share software 'assets' between developers in my team...

I used to use CodeBox, but the website seems to be down... alternatives such as FMS are really too expensive for my (Dutch) company...
    Vieze Oude Man

What do you mean? A ready made library to buy or somewhere to store your own source code (version control)?

Comment

And if you're talking about source code control, surely it doesn't matter which language you write the code in.

Personally, I'm quite a fan of Subversion - http://subversion.tigris.org/

There's a nice little client as well if you're command line challenged - http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Subversion. I'm stuck using CVS at my current client, and it drives me mad. Everybody wants to change to Subversion, but apparently using CVS is the company policy.

I think what he wants is more of a tool for organising reusable components and/or "code snippets".
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
          Subversion. I'm stuck using CVS at my current client, and it drives me mad.
          Not half as mad as the Visual SourceSafe drives me at my current client. Exclusive checkouts, FFS this is 2007!!!
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            Not half as mad as the Visual SourceSafe drives me at my current client. Exclusive checkouts, FFS this is 2007!!!
            You can have multiple checkouts in Source Safe. I think it was an option in the admin tool IIRC.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              You can have multiple checkouts in Source Safe. I think it was an option in the admin tool IIRC.

used ngsource a few years ago, was pretty good then.
              whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                At the contract I just finished they had Team System installed, now it still has it's problems but it's a big step from SourceSafe.

All good I thought, until the contractor I was working with insisted we should turn on exclusive checkouts for the reason that 'he didnt trust the merge tool'

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
                  used ngsource a few years ago, was pretty good then.

We Use NGSource NG3 now.
                  Verry happy with it so far....
                  Not had to do any big releases or merges yet though...

Comment

Well the medium term plan is to implement Team System - but frankly the department is not ready for such a major change yet - ive started with slimmed down MSF 3 document templates (the latest version available in Word, that I can find), in conjuction with a BA, to at least establish a formal process (and yes I have now become a ... 'manager', albeit a technical one )

In the interim, I am trying to stop people from writing different versions of code that do the same thing, and we are slowly building a framework of resusable code... SourceSafe is kack...

We are training up junior developers so I want to create a repository of code approved by myself and an architect to keep them on the straight and narrow - preferably integrated with Visual Studio 2005...
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X