• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corporation tax

If you thought yourself or rather your company were approaching a turnover of the 30% taxable bracket of CT, would you avoid the work? Or is it only 30% on profits beyond the 300K mark?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot
    If you thought yourself or rather your company were approaching a turnover of the 30% taxable bracket of CT, would you avoid the work? Or is it only 30% on profits beyond the 300K mark?
    I believe that the 30% rate will apply to all of your profit, because the 20% is "relief for small businesses" - by moving over 300k you are no longer a small business.

By the way, are you really making +£300k profit ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
      I believe that the 30% rate will apply to all of your profit, because the 20% is "relief for small businesses" - by moving over 300k you are no longer a small business.

Wish I was in this position. The trick would be to increase your expenditure to reduce your profit back down to 299,999.

Comment

CT is paid on profits not the turnover.

The full rate of 30% only applies if the profit is above £1.5 million, between £300K and £1.5Million their is effectively a sliding scale between 20% & 30%.

If there are associated companies (common ownership etc) then the above values would be reduced, depending how many associated companies there are.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Comment

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I did once do a go slow to avoid a higher tax bracket and later on wished I hadn't. It would have been better plough the extra into something that would provide a return in the future.

What I did the following year was to do some training and attend a couple of expensive conferences. Both paid off in terms of contacts for future work.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird

My finacial year ends this Sep if I keep going the way I'm going I might! one of my contracts is a % of the clients product sale price, which only occurs everytime I need to update my model, a weeks worth of sweat for £££'s

I think a month off work is the end answer, but I've never had to force it before
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
              CT is paid on profits not the turnover.

The full rate of 30% only applies if the profit is above £1.5 million, between £300K and £1.5Million their is effectively a sliding scale between 20% & 30%.

If there are associated companies (common ownership etc) then the above values would be reduced, depending how many associated companies there are.

I hope this helps.

Alan
              Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                My finacial year ends this Sep if I keep going the way I'm going I might! one of my contracts is a % of the clients product sale price, which only occurs everytime I need to update my model, a weeks worth of sweat for £££'s

I think a month off work is the end answer, but I've never had to force it before
                That must be terrible. Have you thought of moving offshore and not paying any tax at all?

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                  That must be terrible. Have you thought of moving offshore and not paying any tax at all?
                  The father in law in the channel islands is aye trying to tempt me! yes like you say, terrible.

Comment

Working...
                  X