• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Considering a big extension on the house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a big extension on the house

Never had any major building work done. Any advice?

Thinking of a 1st floor extension over the garage to create a very large master bedroom and on-suite.

Do I get builders in to quote first, or do I get plans drawn up first? What about planning permission?

No point getting plans drawn if the cost is huge.

start with an architect that is:
    1) recommended
    2) familiar with your local council

when plans are drawn up, get some recommended builders to quote.
    you may consider getting your architect to PM it.

all the above is what I did and all went smoothly, a friend did none of the above and had to fight the council for over a year due to a cock-up, and ended up paying 3 lots of builder twice then original quote
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Agree with all of the above. The architect will also be able to spot any building control issues (eg. your garage not having deep enough foundations) and also give you some guidance re. price based on floor area.

Best shop around for an architect though. Some of them are used to bigger builds so you need one who does residential work in your area. Make sure they are qualified as an architect and not just a failed planning officer.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
        Agree with all of the above. The architect will also be able to spot any building control issues (eg. your garage not having deep enough foundations) and also give you some guidance re. price based on floor area.

Best shop around for an architect though. Some of them are used to bigger builds so you need one who does residential work in your area. Make sure they are qualified as an architect and not just a failed planning officer.
        Speaking of architects and planning officers, see if you can find an architect whose plans invariably pass official scrutiny. Not that I would suggest that the worlds of construction and politics every see any collusion, dinners, brown paper bags, etc.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

This should be a one stop process. Approach proper builders and they handle drawing up the plans and applying for any planning applications for you.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That's what I was hoping. A builder that does the whole process with a single point of contact.

Cheers. Time to start ringing round.

Comment

I'd agree with the original posters who recommend an architect to also act as PM. It's very useful indeed to have someone you can moan at who will then go and speak the proper language to the builder and get it fixed. Any big building project, I would definitely go that route. Small jobs, fair enough, probably not necessary.

Comment

Pikeys are usually cheaper. Any sites near you?

Comment

if you do enough googling you should come across guidence for extension build prices on a per sq metre basis - with regional variations - probally give you a ball park figure about £500@sm in England & 2/6d@sm in Scotland
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    if you do enough googling you should come across guidence for extension build prices on a per sq metre basis - with regional variations - probally give you a ball park figure about £500@sm in England & 2/6d@sm in Scotland
                    That's close to £40 per sft when I was looking a few years ago.

Quotes for Scotland might be cheap as chips, but the final price always ends up 10 times that. How much was their parliament building?
                    Last edited by wendigo100; 12 June 2007, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X