• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG membership is a benefit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG membership is a benefit?

Is PCG membership allowable as a company expense? What about Class 1A NICs? Is it my Ltd Co or me personally that is a member?

Q: Why don't find out from the PCG website?
    A: I have looked but it confuses the hell out of me and I can't find that stated anywhere? Can't find any forums either.

Q: Why don't I do a search here before I ask again?
    A: I did:
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : pcg
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

It is a business expense, because you don't need it if you aren't running a business. It is not a BIK and YourCo can pay for it directly.

The Member Forums are rather cunningly hidden behind the button marked "Member Forums" on the RHS with a purplish background. If that's a bit advanced, try the direct link http://www.pcg.org.uk/threads/wwwthreads.pl

I agree about the PCG search on here, I've had the same problem.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      It is a business expense, because you don't need it if you aren't running a business. It is not a BIK and YourCo can pay for it directly.

The Member Forums are rather cunningly hidden behind the button marked "Member Forums" on the RHS with a purplish background. If that's a bit advanced, try the direct link http://www.pcg.org.uk/threads/wwwthreads.pl

I agree about the PCG search on here, I've had the same problem.
      Thank you.

I'm having trouble with my Co Sec, who points out that it is not a professional subscription in the HMRC approved list, and I clearly don't need it in order to do my professional work (not like say an electrician, who really needs a CIS card or he is not allowed to work).

Also, it does seem to be in my name not in the Ltd Cos name. The recent PCG membership card doesn't help there: it bears my name and doesn't mention a Ltd Co anywhere.

At the very least, she says, it probably attracts Class 1A NICs.

I missed the forums in:

Edit details
      View receipt
      Forgotten password?
      Member forums
      Contact us
      Suggestion box

due to laziness: scanned that and said to myself, that's membership details and suchlike. Not sure I even read the "Member forums" in its dark on dark colour scheme. Too hard on my old eyes.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

It doesn't attract any taxes, it is a pure business expense; the PCG board esablished that a few years ago. The policy is for personal coverage paid for by your business because that is exactly how IR35 works, it's a personal taxation that will be paid by your business. There is no paradox.

The HMRC list is of those bodies offering professional membership and status, which PCG clearly can't do - it is not definitive, however, and HMRC have never challenged the subs as a business expense. It is primarily a necessary business insurance covering a certain category of workers and it would not be good management if you didn't arrange some level of cover, from PCG , QDOS or anywhere else.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
        X