• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldest Contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest Contractor?

Who is the oldest contractor that you personally know of?

Jesus.

Comment

Not naming names, but the guy who invented the Cosworth Process is still available, even though he spends most of his time in his villa in the South of France. Now IIRC he was in his 70s when deciding that a part time Masters Degree might be some fun thing to while away his retirement. Which is how I got to know him.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP
        Who is the oldest contractor that you personally know of?
        I think the oldest whose age I knew was 65 at the time, which is nothing special, lots of people work past that age.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I did work with a chap who had been in computing since 1948 - started with American Military. This was 1948.

I am 43 and will need to work until at least 70 to pay for the divorce - not sure how I will cope.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
            I did work with a chap who had been in computing since 1948 - started with American Military. This was 1948.

I am 43 and will need to work until at least 70 to pay for the divorce - not sure how I will cope.
            I'm 56 with a post-divorce position. I don't like it but you only get to do the rest of your life starting from here, not starting from way back there.

Like children, wives are so huge a factor in your life-long financial situation, that you should be really sure that's what you want.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I understand Milan is 95 years old or at least thats what I understood from his wife when she said 'he shags like an old man!'
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                I understand Milan is 95 years old or at least thats what I understood from his wife when she said 'he shags like an old man!'

and she calls you her toy boy ??
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                  I don't like it but you only get to do the rest of your life starting from here, not starting from way back there.
                  Wise words indeed. On first sight it might seem like a truism but it took me a long, long time to accept it!

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    I'm 56 with a post-divorce position. I don't like it but you only get to do the rest of your life starting from here, not starting from way back there.

Like children, wives are so huge a factor in your life-long financial situation, that you should be really sure that's what you want.
                    So how long before you can afford to retire?

Comment

Working...
                    X