• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone looking for a builder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone looking for a builder

OK, jokes aside, I've just had a garage built (20' x 15') in my back garden by this Polish builder who was recommended by some cousins of mine that were having an extension built by the same group of builders.

He's also re-built a wall for me and will be laying a patio with paving blocks next week.

His work is damn good and I am well chuffed with the quality. He charged labour of £2k to do the garage build, which was half of what other builders were quoting.

So as I'm in a helpful mood this morning, if there's anyone here who needs this kind of work done, I can thoroughly recommend him. PM if you'd like his contact details - though he is only available around West London (Windsor/Slough/Staines/Egham etc).

I'm looking for one to re do our kitchen - but I live in Rochdale
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

can he knock up a wall in berlin ?
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

muchznsky cheapnesti, plentynsk quickniscie

Comment

He's not going to live in this garage, is he?

Click me

Comment

A fellow contractor was quoted something like 2 weeks to have a new bathroom. Got some Polish guys in and they did it over the weekend.

Best thing was he could pay them in some cash he'd been paid 'off the books', and pay them without any receipts. So no need to waste time doing that accountancy stuff or giving the Tax man unnecessary work either.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Best thing was he could pay them in some cash he'd been paid 'off the books', and pay them without any receipts. So no need to waste time doing that accountancy stuff or giving the Tax man unnecessary work either.
              But how then does a legit UK company with VAT NI & Tax overheads compete?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes, because we all know that tradesmen in the UK are fully compliant with tax requirements and never ask for cash in hand.

Comment

.... and while we are on the subject - is this not the same situation our industry?

Inter company transfers bringing cheaper workers in for 6 months therebye avoiding Tax & NI?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                    Yes, because we all know that tradesmen in the UK are fully compliant with tax requirements and never ask for cash in hand.
                    I offer cash in hand to UK builders - mainly to avoid filling the coffers of GB (and of course it's cheaper for me). But the first quote is always on the books and occasionally with the larger companies the cash offer is declined!

What seems to be happening is an implicit understanding that Polish workers will always work for cash in hand and can therefore undercut the UK builders which is a different kettle of fish

Comment

Working...
                    X