• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Boot Camps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Boot Camps

I'm doing more and more Oracle dba work for clients even though this isn't my main role. I really enjoy this work and am thinking of looking for some dba contracts. With this in mind I'm thinking of doing the OCP 10g DBA Boot Camp. One week to get a OCP certified seems like hard work. Anyone else done one of these boot camps?

Originally posted by PrinceNamor
    Anyone else done one of these boot camps?

About 3 million Bangalorians!

They're a great idea if you want to be certified. Most people think the certification means **** all though (and they'd be right).

Apps DBA's seem to be going for about £500-£600ish now, and good ones are like rocking horse sh*t, so you've done well to get into it.

I'd advise you to just knuckle down and get a bit more experience though, instead of doing the course. Take the week off and set up your own environment at home, do a few clones (ideally in under 3 hours), apply some patches, bring things up and down....just have a mess around. I'm sure your time would be better spent doing that.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      About 3 million Bangalorians!

They're a great idea if you want to be certified. Most people think the certification means **** all though (and they'd be right).

Apps DBA's seem to be going for about £500-£600ish now, and good ones are like rocking horse sh*t, so you've done well to get into it.

I'd advise you to just knuckle down and get a bit more experience though, instead of doing the course. Take the week off and set up your own environment at home, do a few clones (ideally in under 3 hours), apply some patches, bring things up and down....just have a mess around. I'm sure your time would be better spent doing that.
      Did he say anything about being an Apps DBA (unlike me ), feckwit?
      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
        Did he say anything about being an Apps DBA (unlike me ), feckwit?

I really should read posts more clearly

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceNamor
          I'm doing more and more Oracle dba work for clients even though this isn't my main role. I really enjoy this work and am thinking of looking for some dba contracts. With this in mind I'm thinking of doing the OCP 10g DBA Boot Camp. One week to get a OCP certified seems like hard work. Anyone else done one of these boot camps?
          The Oracle OCP courses are extremely difficult, or least the 9i ones were - personally I'd expect you to have at least a years good solid DBA experience to get through it without completely frying your brain, it's very very low level stuff when it comes down to tuning etc.
          Last edited by Captain Lockheed; 13 June 2007, 11:36.
          where wuh wuh?

Comment

On a serious note, I did one (Oracle 8i OCP) years ago - taught me little more than what to tick on the Prometric test, if I'm honest...
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lockheed
              The Oracle OCP courses are extremely difficult, or least the 9i ones were - personally I'd expect you to have at least a years good solid DBA experience to get through it without completely frying your brain, it's very very low level stuff when it comes down to tuning etc.
              I do have a few years dba experience. I did 9i dba training when I was a permie working for a large consultancy and spent about a year doing dba work for them, including some apps, before going contracting. A few of my contracts have also involved me being the project dba, doing upgrades, applying patches, performance tuning etc. I'm just getting a bit fed up with Business Intelligence and am thinking about making the switch to just going for dba contracts. I guess some more apps experience would be more usefull then certification.

Comment

I did the 9i OCP in March, with little / no DBA knowledge beforehand, but I've been an Oracle developer for 9 years now.

Bloody hard work - I did the bootcamp (three exams) in 12 days, which was a struggle. But worthwhile, overall - I went to India to do it, which was much cheaper than trying to do it in the UK.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll let you have the details.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X