• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things to do in Hong Kong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do in Hong Kong

Going for a week for work - what else is there to do there?

what things to avoid and not to do also...

Take the peak tram to the top get yourself into the peak tower restaurant pick your steak of choice sit down view this and enjoy!

PS: if your there for a week get a weekly MTR ticket, cheaper if your a miser like me.

pss: the star ferry slow but cheap is a must!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

- lots of shopping (be wary if a deal sounds too good to be true if u are buying electornics)

- ocean park (way better than the crappy disneyland)

- definitely go to the Big Buddha and eat at the monastry restaurant (very cheap, tasty and filling)

- great nightlife

Comment

Wang chai (Or however it's spelled) of an evening is interesting, kinda expensive and the gorgeous philipino girl who's been chatting you up for a few hours may expect to get paid later ;-)
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Get yourself an Octopus card for the underground (kind of like an Oyster card). It makes travelling much cheaper.

Explore Kowloon across the bay - particularly the markets (look for the exotic food - cats, turtles, snakes etc) and noodle bars, and get across there at least once on the Star Ferry.

Find and book a table at a traditional Chinese restaurant - I particularly recommend the roasted chicken at the Luk Yu Tea House (though don't order if you have a problem with the chicken turning up whole with head and legs fully intact). I guarantee you will find yourself cursing at the slop they serve up in Chinese restaurants here afterwards.

Learn the Chinese symbols for the four major meats - most restaurant menus are Chinese only. Vegetable dishes are usually safe to order without worrying what's in them.

Take a taxi ride after midnight - it can be like being in the game Crazy Taxi if you're coming down the hill from Central - quite exhilarating.

Get up to the peak and book a table up there - the food is excellent.

Learn the Chinese names for all the places you need to get to - including your hotel - most places have English and Chinese names, but the locals (especially taxis) only know the Chinese names.

If you're into pubs/clubs, the expats are all located in the Central district, but I found the whole area quite crass (full of loud drunken English business types) and kept clear.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            If you're into pubs/clubs, the expats are all located in the Central district, but I found the whole area quite crass (full of loud drunken English business types) and kept clear.
            That would have been me then, but I was there on business, going out with colleages and it was a lot of fun. Funny how almost al of the expat guys are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage - not a place to relocate to if you're not single was the impression I got.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Lan Kwai Fung is the best nightlife in HK. there used to be a bar called Carnegies in Wan CHai but think it closed after the handover. There used to be the Flying Pig and Shhoters in Wan Chai also and they were very good.

Go to Stanley Market and find the Smugglers Inn...very good pub.

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                Lan Kwai Fung is the best nightlife in HK. there used to be a bar called Carnegies in Wan CHai but think it closed after the handover. There used to be the Flying Pig and Shhoters in Wan Chai also and they were very good.

Go to Stanley Market and find the Smugglers Inn...very good pub.
                Strange - one of my best mates and his wife are regulars in the smugglers, so much so they're now good mates with the owners and if you went there even a few times I'm sure you would have bumped into them - two aussies, usually with a beagle or two in tow - ring any bells?

Comment

The big Buddah on the island is quite cool to go an see (I assume it's still there)

The used to do a double decker bus ride down from the peak, similar to being in a 2 story rally car
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    Strange - one of my best mates and his wife are regulars in the smugglers, so much so they're now good mates with the owners and if you went there even a few times I'm sure you would have bumped into them - two aussies, usually with a beagle or two in tow - ring any bells?
                    Jeez, it was a long time ago...I left at the handover but used to go there regularly and even put a note or 2 on the wall...

Comment

Working...
                    X