• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate increase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate increase

Hi
    I just finished a 2 week contract for 320/day. While waiting to hear if its being extended one of the interim agencies went bankrupt. I still got paid but will now have a new contract. They said because the middle man is gone I could prob ask for more on my daily rate.
    I dont want to be greedy and lose the extention so whats the normal percentage that agencies stick on. If I met him half way then that would be fair. They coudl save some money and I could gain some.
    They of course said "tell us what you want and we'll discuss it"

So on 320 what do you think, on average, the agency was charging?

thanks

I would guess the agent was charging 20%, which is quite normal especially if you're a new contractor.

Hence I think you should quote around £360 / day to the client, i.e. meet them approximately half way. If they're a big client they probably won't be bothered at paying you even more.

It depends largely on how comfortable you are with the client and how much they want you to stay.

Comment

Just be happy you are getting a raise and the client appreciates your situation. Ask for too much and you become expensive in project/budget forecasts...a little extra will be good for you and the client. So between 10-20% I'd say.

Comment

are my maths fkd up

are my maths fkd up

320 = 100%
        64 = 20 % agent fee on top
        so agency charging 384?

if i want to meet them half way then 354 ?

so client saves and I gain so were both happy

Comment

Originally posted by coflc
          are my maths fkd up

320 = 100%
          64 = 20 % agent fee on top
          so agency charging 384?

if i want to meet them half way then 354 ?

so client saves and I gain so were both happy
          looks good to me. Ask for 350.

Comment

No yours maths are out (or mine are)

Your 320 is AFTER the agent cut so if they are taking 20% then they are charging the client 400 per day for you:

320 = 80%
            80 = 20%

So 360 would be meeting them half-way, however it is right not to be too greedy, although the client may not know (or care) what cut the agent takes.

Go with what you are comfortable with, if you are happy with the gig then don't price yourself out for the sake of a few quid.

Let us know how it goes - good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars
              No yours maths are out (or mine are)

Your 320 is AFTER the agent cut so if they are taking 20% then they are charging the client 400 per day for you:

320 = 80%
              80 = 20%

So 360 would be meeting them half-way, however it is right not to be too greedy, although the client may not know (or care) what cut the agent takes.

Go with what you are comfortable with, if you are happy with the gig then don't price yourself out for the sake of a few quid.

yep that's right. I got suckered into that.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars
                Yep let us know, don't just run off with the advice!

Comment

the guy I negotiating with is another contracter who got the project and has sub contracted me. He told me that i could ask for more as we had a delayed start so will play fair and meet him half way so I gain and he saves. Ive just been offered another contract so more bargaining chips.

will let y'all know

Comment

i got 355 so am happy though have to wait another week for this contract to start its been almost a month now! I'll be seriously avoiding short term pilot projects after this and sign off for main project takes too long.

Comment

Working...
                    X