• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting out of contracts...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting out of contracts...

I'm over 300 miles from home, travelling on a Monday and Friday. Rate is excellent but job is tulipe. Into week 2 of 1st extension (another 3 months) - wish I hadn't signed. I've got my cv in for 4 other jobs closer to home - if one comes off what's the best way to leave (there's a one month notice period)?

1. Say nowt and don't come back (but make sure you got your last timesheet signed)
    2. Go sick
    3. Be up front and work your notice.
    4. Be up front and hope they let you go quicker than a month cos the new job requires immediate start.
    Blood in your poo

you signed the contract, ether work till the end of it, or give notice, but always be a pro, never just walk out.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise
      I'm over 300 miles from home, travelling on a Monday and Friday. Rate is excellent but job is tulipe. Into week 2 of 1st extension (another 3 months) - wish I hadn't signed. I've got my cv in for 4 other jobs closer to home - if one comes off what's the best way to leave (there's a one month notice period)?

1. Say nowt and don't come back (but make sure you got your last timesheet signed)
      2. Go sick
      3. Be up front and work your notice.
      4. Be up front and hope they let you go quicker than a month cos the new job requires immediate start.
      Work your way backwards from 4 to 1.

Comment

Don't burn your bridges - what if in the future you need a gig & they want you back and they are the only gig or the others that are available are 400 miles away at a lower rate!

Be honest with them would be my attitude.

Comment

Find someone cheaper and more local, and exercise your right of substitution.

Whatever you do, be professional at all times.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm sure I'll be up front, but only mention some of the options as when I was a permie, I had experience of some contractors just not coming back and changing their mobile numbers.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
              Find someone cheaper and more local, and exercise your right of substitution.

Whatever you do, be professional at all times.

Hmmmm....never thought of that one
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Live up to your name in the middle of the office, should should be off site in a second or two!
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                  Live up to your name in the middle of the office, should should be off site in a second or two!
                  He'd be dumped immediately

Comment

Working...
                  X