• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living the dream. . .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living the dream. . .

Just finished a 5 year stint.
    Feeling a bit burnt-out. Never again!
    So the dream is working 8-9 months, 3-4 months off in winter (currently building a place in Goa)
    It is possible in theory, but is it doable in reality?
    Any of you guys doing it, tried it?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Milan and threaded have some experience of this.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I have some experience of this. Yes.

There are many contractors I know who are "perpetual travellers". i.e. they never stay more than 3 or 6 months in any one country.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        I have some experience of this. Yes.

There are many contractors I know who are "perpetual travellers". i.e. they never stay more than 3 or 6 months in any one country.
        But how do you handle it on your CV, no extensions etc.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
          Just finished a 5 year stint.
          Feeling a bit burnt-out. Never again!
          So the dream is working 8-9 months, 3-4 months off in winter (currently building a place in Goa)
          It is possible in theory, but is it doable in reality?
          Any of you guys doing it, tried it?
          That was my life plan when I first started out- although mine was going to be a 50/50 split... trouble is you get too used to the money, but good luck to you if can make it work

Could you use your time off to supplement contracting income - while in Goa look at doing a Plan B from there - (never been to Goa so don't know what's there) i.e act as a buyer for UK companies
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
            Could you use your time off to supplement contracting income - while in Goa look at doing a Plan B from there - (never been to Goa so don't know what's there) i.e act as a buyer for UK companies
            Myself and my sister are building 6 apartment near the beach in Goa, India. We were thinking of a big house. But if some of our extended family came over to stay I am not sure I would want to look at them over breakfast. So we are hoping to rent them when empty for some income. I also want to house swap one of them so I have somewhere to stay for my next contracts. But so far this is all talk, as the builders havent finished yet.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

But how do you handle it on your CV, no extensions etc.
              Plenty of contractors have 'no-extensions' on their CVs...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I aim for 8 months on, 4 off, and that is probably about my average since the mid 90s. I've had my CV and its gaps questioned the odd time but its not really a problem. Not renewing when the client wants you to stay has caused the odd issue. Some of the longer gaps may have had a month or two nibbled off either side but to be honest people don't really care if it's from years ago. A lot of it depends on the job market also, in the good times you can dictate, in the bad times you can't control your on/off spells so well.

Comment

Milan regularly takes 12 months off a year, signing-on to get 'what I'm owed'
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

But if some of our extended family came over to stay I am not sure I would want to look at them over breakfast.
                    You'll probably be OK there. The British are a conservative lot and would much rather you visited them than go to the hassle of visiting you.

That's been my experience anyway, even when I've offered to pay. Typical excuses are "We are house hunting / school holidays / got the builders in / work commitments", with the best of all being "We can't afford it this year", a prize one when you are offering to pay, WTF!

OTOH, I've occasionally come across those who have ended up with a cuckoo that they can't get rid of.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X