• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collaborative projects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collaborative projects

X

I am initially testing the water to gauge interest, so please make your mark if interested.
    I will bring this thread to the top over the next couple of weeks and then it will be deleted.

I am a trainer/consultant with experience of learning organisations and Service Management (ITIL). Not sure if I fit so I'll ask you a couple of questions...

Do you expect to have customers? Do you know how to negotiate, create and manage Service Level Agreements? Do you know how to setup and manage a Service Desk? Do you know how to ensure continuity whilst maintaining the stability of a service? Do you know how to organise and manage your hardware and software resource? Do you know how to keep your customers happy enough to stay with you and recommend you to others?

I do...

Comment

B O,

This is an excellent initiative. I shall respond later on more thoroughly.

Comment

re

-info retrieval/extraction
        -named entity recognition
        -lexical processing
        -data mining
        i could put a few hours in

Comment

not sure about degree of possible involvement but I was (still am) planning my firm along similar lines with only exception that it is my who controls at least 80% of equity.

the biggest challenge for proposed idea in my opinion is successful determination of contribution of all involved parties - say 1 person offers great ground breaking idea and he leads the way doing almost everything, then, how would you determine what % is due to that person? Surely fixed ownership of the firm is not flexible enough.

Comment

Barn O,

Background,

Knowledge Mgt ( Financial services), Change Mgt ( the lattest trend), Project Mgt ( huge experience), Consultancy, Experience of running successful companies, mathematical background, AI, Neural Network, adaptive system etc..

I particularly like the concept of collaborative teams.

I have always been surprised, considering the many talented individuals on the board, why an IT type of co-op shop has not emerged.

Fundamentally your proposition/idea is sound.

Let me know how you get on.

I am surprised NickNack has not been in touch.

Comment

re:

Always interested in options...

I have always been surprised, considering the many talented individuals on the board, why an IT type of co-op shop has not emerged.
              couple of reasons:
              because no matter how good the technical / consultancy skills, there still needs to be someone to sell. that requires skill and costs money (possibly lots of money)

coordinating people who are by definition individualists is difficult.

some people dont like the idea of not charging full whack every day. The business has overheads (sales & mktg not the least) and too many contractors really are greedy serial employees.

Comment

Re: re:Individualism

Mark,

I agree with your second and third point.

In relation to the first one I had offered in the past to finance some co-op type start-ups.

I believe that perhaps the "individualism" is the main barrier.

I regularly hear of "politics" and how by contracting one is doing away with this aspect! How naive!

I do not believe, that in time of crisis, one-man band can thrive!

Comment

X

Comment

Don't forget the use of the EZboard email messages.

Comment

Working...
                    X