• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown's bloody tax system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown's bloody tax system

I've just finished my tax credit return, with its 100 pages of user instructions. Business analysts would have trouble with that lot, so what chance the local chav even reading it!

Well, we know the answer to that, don't we, with so many incorrect and fecked-up returns, leaving the national coffers a net £2 billion short. And the Treasury w@nkers have the front to blame people for not filling in the forms accurately.

Welcome to Gordon Brown's world. Unsimple.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

MY dad started drawing his pension.

In the last 2 days he had 4 notices of tax code change as they couldnt get it right at the tax office.

Went from 522L > 503L > BR > 522L > 316T

I mean wtf?

Comment

I've just filled in the HMRC child benefit form to say my daughter is staying on to sixth form. The reply-paid envelope is a quarter of an inch too small to put the normally-folded form in.

They take incompetence pills for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        I've just filled in the HMRC child benefit form to say my daughter is staying on to sixth form. The reply-paid envelope is a quarter of an inch too small to put the normally-folded form in.

They take incompetence pills for breakfast.
        Strange but true: on the automated systems I've written for the Danish civil service at several layers in the code it actually throws exceptions if they try and send a pack out with a prepaid envelope that is too small or has the wrong 'license', wrong return address, and they have to get a manager to OK sending a letter to someone who is 'dead', etc. etc.. Clever stuff if I do say so myself.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

But that only works if the system knows they are dead!

Comment

I keep intending reading up on tax credits properly. Is it worth investigating, I'm assuming I'll get stuff all while I'm doing Ok on the contract front !?

Comment

With the tax and benefits sytem being so complicated I'm suprised that there hasn't been somebody set up in business in order to determine how you could maximise your benefits and claim the most money. Obviously this would not be a goer for the really needs, but the tax credits thing should be an easy one to do. I'd imagine that there are a large number of people who would qualify for the £500 ish payment a year who don't claim due to the hassle. If a company was to charge £100 a year to fill in their forms and deal with the revenue, then these people would be £400 better off.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                With the tax and benefits sytem being so complicated I'm suprised that there hasn't been somebody set up in business in order to determine how you could maximise your benefits and claim the most money. Obviously this would not be a goer for the really needs, but the tax credits thing should be an easy one to do. I'd imagine that there are a large number of people who would qualify for the £500 ish payment a year who don't claim due to the hassle. If a company was to charge £100 a year to fill in their forms and deal with the revenue, then these people would be £400 better off.
                Well.....
                In Doncaster some chummy broke into a benefit office and got hold of a book. The book.

This book then changed hands until it reached someone who knew how to use it. The village they lived in went from run down to quite well-to-do all within a few months...

Essentially because they knew what benefits they could claim and how to claim them!

The benefit office was not at all pleased, and I think the government actually changed the benefit rules significantly.

So, your idea has legs, but I think the people doing the service would be quite busy just keeping up with the rules changing as the benefits people try to put them out of business.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yes there are lots of 'businesses' that do that - especially for people without fluent English. You probably haven't heard of them because they are run from the corners of cafes and pubs in depressing towns.

Comment

It is a well known fact that the tax system was designed by the Cult of Skaro to ensure that come the invasion everyone will be too busy sitting around filling in tax credit forms to put up much resistance.

Comment

Working...
                    X