• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£1,300,000,000,000 in debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Dan Roberts and Iain Dey, Sunday Telegraph
    Last Updated: 12:56am BST 17/06/2007

The day of reckoning has arrived for a debt-soaked nation living for too long on easy credit. And it's going to hurt

Shocking picture is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/grap...nrdebt117b.jpg

Last week in Cardiff, a mild-mannered man called Mervyn stood up, pushed back his glasses and stated the obvious: "It is unwise to borrow so much that the repayments are affordable only if interest rates remain at their initial levels." (AtW's comment: where the f..k were you in the last few years then, the cat got your tongue I presume?)

Sensible, if unremarkable advice, one might think, from a governor of the Bank of England known for his conservatism. But Mr King's warning to the Welsh CBI marks the end of a decadent decade in British history when many of us have done exactly that: borrowing as if there were no tomorrow, living on the never-never, driven (or reassured) by the ever-rising price of the roof above our heads.

The day of reckoning has come for a debt-soaked society that has seen outstanding household loans double to £1.3 trillion in just seven years.

In a deliberate new policy of blunt-speaking, the governor eschewed the normally equivocal language of central bankers to warn that if we don't change our free-spending ways, he will - by pushing up interest rates until the growing threat of inflation is eliminated.
    advertisement

"It wasn't what he said; it was who was saying it," says Ray Boulger, a mortgage broker. City economists expect the response to come by August, increasing interest rates from 5.5 to 5.75 per cent. But the real fear is that this will not be enough and that 6 per cent interest rates will be with us by the autumn.

This could make for a rocky Christmas, not just for homeowners but also shops and manufacturers reliant on easy credit to fuel consumer spending. Property experts fear the housing market may not be able to cope

"A quarter point rise is as much as the market can take. Anything more will precipitate a serious crash," says Robert Bryant-Pearson, of Allied Surveyors, the largest independent property valuer. "Everyone seems to forget what happened between 1990 and 1993: the repossessions, the negative equity. The problem now is that people's borrowing in relation to their income is extremely high."

So far, the level of repossessions is a far cry from the days of the early 1990s recession and property crash. Between 1990 and 1993, 247,000 homeowners lost their homes as house prices slumped and unemployment rose sharply.

But the Council of Mortgage Lenders estimates this measure of affordability, or arguably unaffordability, reached a 15-year record even before the latest mortgage rises kicked in, this spring.

For this reason, others think we have already reached the point where the credit crunch is biting. "I doubt the housing market can even take another quarter point," adds Boulger, one of the most respected mortgage commentators.

"Only in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland are house prices still climbing. Another rate rise would choke this off and push prices in much of the rest of the country into reverse."

To make matters worse, the biggest impact of higher mortgage rates is still to come for many homeowners. Analysts at Credit Suisse estimate a million borrowers who took advantage of cheap two-year fixed rate loans at the end of 2005 are about to experience the shock of their lives.

James Callaghan, a civil servant in Darlington is typical of those discovering the painful new reality: "If we stick with our current mortgage lender, our mortgage rate will jump from 4.94 per cent to 6.75 per cent." In extreme cases, the repayments on a £400,000 interest-only mortgage would increase from about £1,400 a month to about £2,000, up by 43 per cent.

But tightening of the interest-rate screws by the Bank of England is only the half the story. On the other side of the Atlantic, the cost of borrowing is shooting up even for George W Bush.

The world's most powerful government gets to borrow from the world's deepest financial pool: the colossal market in US government debt, known as Treasury bonds.

More here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nrdebt117.xml

---------

The end is well and truly nigh... [PHP]
    Last edited by AtW; 17 June 2007, 00:49.

(AtW's comment: where the f..k were you in the last few years then, the cat got your tongue I presume?)

The end is nigh only for those

who don't pay off in full at the end of the month.

And didn't pay off their mortgages when they could.

And don't change their car every year.

And don't spend all they earn every month.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But the real fear is that this will not be enough and that 6 per cent interest rates will be with us by the autumn.
      I'd be happy if savings went up to nearly that amount.

But they won't as the banks earn more out of spenders than savers...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

1.3 (lots of 0's).

In the bank.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It doesn't seem like 2 minutes since it hit a trillion

But in fact it's 3 years

"Thursday, 29 July, 2004, 15:00 GMT 16:00 UK

UK consumer debt hits £1 trillion"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3935671.stm

So that means it's gone up by £ 100,000,000,000 each year for the last 3 years.

Mandatory "Gloom Doom" etc.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Does anyone think London and the immediate south east can buck the trend and hold up or increase modestly while the westcountry drops 20% in the next 5 years? This is my dream scenario.

Comment

I think cost of houses in London will have to fall particularly sharply - this is not wishful thinking as I have no desire to live in London at all regardless of how much dog sized houses cost there.

The majority of people probably won't lose their houses so long as they bought them few years ago when prices were relatively low, and did not re-morgage up to the "new" value of the house - these will be fine, even though when it hits the fans the economy will go down and jobs will be hard to come by for everyone.

If you look at the chart image at the start of the article you will see that debt as %-tage of GDP in the UK is very close to that of USA - way higher than Germany and France. And at least USA, Germany and France actually produce a lot of tangible goods, what is made here in the UK - "financial services" that allow 3-world companies to launder dirty money and then buy football clubs etc? This activity can't sustain country like UK - even bloody Swissland has got chocolate and clocks, and they sure know more about banking than UK! I also like that in Swissland every citizen has got reserved place in a anti-nuclear bunker
              Last edited by AtW; 17 June 2007, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                The end is nigh only for those

who don't pay off in full at the end of the month.

And didn't pay off their mortgages when they could.

And don't change their car every year.

And don't spend all they earn every month.
                True cojak, unless you do all these things, but lose your job because those who didn't can't afford to buy your products any more.

Call me a miserable old git, but all that borrowing is a mugs' game.

Comment

Well, there is a slow down coming for sure. I don't think it is going to be a crash as such. There will be a correction, as there has been alot of frivilous spending in the last 7 years, consumer credit has reached an all time high that is for sure. I think the end is nigh for the credit card market, I foresee alot more voluntary bankruptcies, defaulting on credit cards, where people will be ploughing money into mortgages. The banks have seen this coming for a while, hence when ever you walk into the bank, they seem more intent on selling you insurance's than actual any other banking, this is a sure fire way to get money in, money they don't have to pay back, i.e Home Insurance, Life etc. The sales of these insurance will buoy them up for the forthcoming decline. A later people will default on these premiums thus making invalidating the insurance's , cash for banana's.

If the UK and USA go into decline, so will India and all the other offshoring locations etc, as there will be no trade going there way, as purse strings will be pulled in. Labour will become cheaper here in the uk, as obviously the supply of labour will far outstrip the demand, therefore rates will plummet.

Things will be rough for the next 7 years. This shouldn't necessarily come as a shock, and it's not really worth preaching about. Doom and gloom merchants have been preaching this for over a thousand years. Just live it, get out of debt and stop worrying about it.
                  threenine.co.uk
                  Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    This activity can't sustain country like UK - even bloody Swissland has got chocolate and clocks, and they sure know more about banking than UK! I also like that in Swissland every citizen has got reserved place in a anti-nuclear bunker
                    Well you go and spoil it all by making silly statements like this. Can you substantiate your assertion? The only reason Swiss banking has succeeded over the years is their strict privacy laws and political stability. Recently with the Nazi gold scandal, they've lost the competitive advantage of the privacy laws which have been diluted. Also the anti-nuclear bunkers which used to be compulsory are not anymore.
                    Regarding the UK's lack of manufacturing, it may be that this is a comparative advantage. For how long can Germany especially manufacture at home with their high wages? Making cars is almost completely automated now and can be done anywhere in the world. I think only the premium brands will continue in Germany - the VWs of this world will start manufacturing in cheaper places as they have started to do already: Czech, Thailand etc. Even Mercedes now has factories in SA and Alabama (which is a cheap 3rd world like part of the US)
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X