• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South 'is funding North's dole pay'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Robert Watts, Whitehall Correspondent, Sunday Telegraph
    Northerners should be paid lower unemployment benefits and receive a less generous minimum wage than people in the south, according to a study.

The controversial report argues that Gordon Brown's "unfair and intrusive" tax and benefits are fuelling a "dole culture" in the north, while penalising more productive southerners who have to suffer higher living costs and house prices.

Using a raft of official labour market and price data, the Economic Research Council's study says Londoners should get a minimum wage of £6.90 an hour, compared with the current rate of £5.35.

By contrast, the minimum wage for workers in the north-east should be slashed by 57p an hour to just £4.78, the think tank's study claims. Substantial cuts should also be made to the minimum wage in Yorkshire (down to £4.95 an hour), Northern Ireland (£4.80) and Wales (£4.84), it suggests.

The report, by Prof David Smith at the University of Derby, also argues that having one national level of unemployment benefit removes the incentive to work in parts of the country where wages are lower.

Prof Smith, born and raised in Leeds, said: "If you are in London benefits are a very poor substitute for work. If you are in the north-east benefits are a very good substitute for work - so you tend to get far more people on benefits up there." "Britain's tax and benefits system has got more unfair over the past 10 years. The minimum wage for Londoners is effectively a joke - laughably low."

The paper calls for Britain to adopt a system similar to those in Switzerland and the United States, which allow local authorities to set benefits, the minimum wage and the salaries of public workers.
    Let them eat cake!

Sounds a good principle, determine what is necessary for a minimum standard of living wherever you happen to be and pay that.

PS Or rather, for those that are capable of work, pay 20% less than that.

"You don't work you don't eat"
    The Outlaw Joe Wales
    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 June 2007, 17:16.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think they should just give vouchers for basic amount of elctricity, water, gas, rent and food etc

under no circumstances should an able bodied adult ever be better off on benefits than working IMO

Comment

I'm from up north but i earn my money further south and take it all back up there to spend - I'm like a Pole on a smaller scale

Comment

Originally posted by Benny
          The paper calls for Britain to adopt a system similar to those in Switzerland and the United States, which allow local authorities to set benefits, the minimum wage and the salaries of public workers.

Dear god. That would mean the Scottish and Welsh parties would set min wages @ £10/hour and benefits at £3000/day and expect London to pay for it.

Comment

C'mon! there are billions of strawberries rotting in the fields of southern britain, cos there's no cheap labour to pick them.

How much is train fare down from t'north.

This situation could have a serious affect on the tennis at wimbledon
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

in other news, it was the north that paid for 80's redevelopment of the british economy whilst the south got rich ...

Comment

Originally posted by madhippy
                in other news, it was the north that paid for 80's redevelopment of the british economy ...
                Why do you think that?

Comment

I cant reply to this thread without going on some mad North verses South angry sweary rant! I've tried 4 times now, and keep getting really mad!!

So I'll just be quiet I think.
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

In the short term, privatisation of industry meant the workers in the regions carried on doing the work but no longer got the benefits.

In the longer term,
                    Manufacturing in the North -> funds the expansion of the British Empire -> London financial centre of the capitalist world.

Both Marxist history, but true none the less.

anyway a summary of the actual research is here:
                    http://www.derby.ac.uk/files/david_b...ture_notes.pdf

but he's not the pioneering thinker he thinks he is:
                    http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail...9&NewsAreaID=2

Comment

Working...
                    X