• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of Home

Hi All,

Am I right in thinking that when you calculate how much you can claim for "use of home", you used to be able to count mortgage interest?

Or did I just completely make that up?

Cheers,
    Sal
    The pope is a tard.

This is the advice my accountants sent out back in January.

Please note that we now recommend to clients that they no longer claim the mortgage interest on the "use of home as office", following increased activity from the Revenue challenging the basis of such claims and mortgage interest in particular. It is still very rare they do investigate this item but we are erring on the side of caution with our advice!

This whole area is a grey one and we continue to recommend you draw a minimum £260 per year on the basis we do not know of a single case where the Revenue have challenged a claim up to this value.

The stipulated minimum from the Revenue is £2 per week. The £2 comes from the Finance Act 2003 where an employer can pay an employee £2 pw for the extra costs of working at home without tax implications and without the need for any proof of those additional costs.

You can of course claim more than this but should then have proper calculations to back it up (to calculate accurately, add up total household bills - electricity, gas, council tax, cleaning, insurances and rent (if paid!) - and divide by the number of rooms in the house (if you use a dedicated room for business purposes - if used 50% for business purposes, half the room cost, and so on). You will need to exclude bathrooms, WCs and entrance halls from the total rooms.

Which seems to be saying that you shouldn't include the mortgage interest but you can include the capital repayment part.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Costs PCM
      Gas = £50
      Electricity = £50
      Cleaning = £?
      Council Tax = £200
      Rent = £1000 (I'd suggest mortgage interest is a no no)
      Total cost per month = £1300

No. of Rooms
      Kitchen 1
      Bedroom 1
      Living/Dining Room 1
      Study 1
      Total number of main rooms 4

Cost per room: £325.00

Therefore I'd charge my LtdCo £325 for use of one room PCM.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Which seems to be saying that you shouldn't include the mortgage interest but you can include the capital repayment part.
        Cheers Dave - SJD's contractor guide now says you cant include mortgage interest OR mortgage repayment. But you can include rent.
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

For the sake of getting an extra £60 tax free out of the company is it really worth running the risk of investigation?

And I thought you were in Norway!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
            Costs PCM
            Gas = £50
            Electricity = £50
            Cleaning = £?
            Council Tax = £200
            Rent = £1000 (I'd suggest mortgage interest is a no no)
            Total cost per month = £1300

No. of Rooms
            Kitchen 1
            Bedroom 1
            Living/Dining Room 1
            Study 1
            Total number of main rooms 4

Cost per room: £325.00

Therefore I'd charge my LtdCo £325 for use of one room PCM.
            There was a big article on this in the the most recent PCG Peridoical, "contracting Matters" or whatever its called.
            It suggested that fixed costs (ie rent/council tax) are ok, but bills like gas and electricity are not. Suggest you dig the article out if you are a PCG member.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
              Cheers Dave - SJD's contractor guide now says you cant include mortgage interest OR mortgage repayment. But you can include rent.
              SA - any update on the investigation ?

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
                For the sake of getting an extra £60 tax free out of the company is it really worth running the risk of investigation?

And I thought you were in Norway!

Huh who? I don't use emm just an example. Did use it when I worked in Englandshire though...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                  SA - any update on the investigation ?
                  Not yet.

Dont worry - I'll keep you all posted on that.
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                  X