• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White men can't run fire service, says Ken Livingstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last updated at 15:29pm on 18th June 2007

Ken Livingstone has blocked the appointment of nine white men because they are "unrepresentative" of London.

The Mayor used his powers to promote equality to stop them serving on the London fire authority.

He refused to confirm all but one of the Tory and Liberal Democrat nominations to the body that sets the brigade's budget and policies.

The Mayor's opponents are expected to seek a High Court injunction to overturn his ruling saying that it has caused "unnecessary and damaging uncertainty".

Only five Labour members of the 17-strong body are likely to turn up for Thursday's annual meeting.

Mr Livingstone rejected the nominations of five Assembly members and four borough councillors because they "failed to tackle the under-representation of women and black, Asian and ethnic minority Londoners". The authority is made up of nine Assembly members and eight councillors according to each party's political strength across the capital.

The Mayor said he had taken the step after the Tories nominated six white men and one white woman, while the Lib-Dems selected three white men.

He said: "It is unacceptable that when there are 1,861 councillors in London, of which 555 are women and 293 from black, Asian and ethnic minority groups, all seven Conservative nominees are white and include only one woman, and all three Liberal Democrat nominees are white men.

"To fulfil my duty to promote genuine equality I have decided not to accept these unrepresentative nominees and to ask those who are making these nominations to ensure that they reflect London as it really is."

The Mayor approved all five Labour nominations, as well as one Tory woman and the sole Green and One London party representatives.

Merrick Cockell, Tory chairman of London Councils, said: "It is disappointing that the Mayor has rejected two pensioners, an openly gay councillor and a councillor under 30 as being 'unrepresentative' of London's diverse communities.

"The fact remains these councillors were democratically elected by London's diverse communities."

Mike Tuffrey, Lib-Dem leader on the authority, said: "It is not for the Mayor to dictate to the other parties who they appoint."

--------

....but white men can still be mayor of london, apparently.

why do londoners still give house-room to this jerk?
    They seek him here, they seek him there. He must be playing hide & seek.

Comment

He's had a brain-swap with one of his newts.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        He's had a brain-swap with one of his newts.
        Don't be horrible to newts. I saw one very late on Sunday night. It was nestled down in a recent cycle track through the mud and I thought "Suicide by MTB: way to go Mr. Newt!"
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by anally retentive
          why do londoners still give house-room to this jerk?
          Easy on Ken ... at least he's willing to stand up to the 4x4 brigade.
          Besides - better the devil you know...

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
            Easy on Ken ... at least he's willing to stand up to the 4x4 brigade.
            He, like Brown, just needs wallets to tax and then spend, effectively bribing voters: I don't bet after that incident with mcquiggd, but if I were I'd bet a tenner that if 4x4 suddenly had electric motors with zero CO2, then they would still get taxed for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              if 4x4 suddenly had electric motors with zero CO2, then they would still get taxed for something else.
              Yes, he could bypass the vehicles and tax the people directly for their wrongdoings. He could call it ars*h*le tax.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                He could call it ars*h*le tax.
                I am afraid this is not likely - this would be discriminating against minorities and we can't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  I am afraid this is not likely - this would be discriminating against minorities and we can't have that.
                  Minorities?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Merrick Cockell, Tory chairman of London Councils, said: "It is disappointing that the Mayor has rejected two pensioners, an openly gay councillor and a councillor under 30 as being 'unrepresentative' of London's diverse communities.
                    Response please, Mr Livingstone.
                    "The fact remains these councillors were democratically elected by London's diverse communities."
                    Do the voters count for anything, Mr Livingstone? Or only if they vote correctly?
                    Mike Tuffrey, Lib-Dem leader on the authority, said: "It is not for the Mayor to dictate to the other parties who they appoint."
                    Is it, Mr Livingstone? Hello???
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                    X