• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent

I've been advised that rental can be claimed under brolly arrangements. I've done a search in this forum and most of the advise is for you lucky ltd company'ers so wondering if anyone has any brolly experience to share. Thanks.

Originally posted by floatsy
    I've been advised that rental can be claimed under brolly arrangements. I've done a search in this forum and most of the advise is for you lucky ltd company'ers so wondering if anyone has any brolly experience to share. Thanks.
    what does your brolly say ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

They say one can claim it - and the HRMC approves of this. Another one (Umbrella Contractor) said that it is not possible to claim it.

Conflicting advice, dontcha love it

Comment

If you have to stay away from your normal place of residence then any expenses you incur can be re-imbursed by your employer, thus avoiding paying tax.

as expressed elsewhere - you have to ensure that accomodation expenses are ligitimatly incurred and backed by reciepts
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Thanks for that BlueBird, ContractorUmb just said no straight out.

I would be staying there and applying a 5/7 - I am genuinely incurring expense (don't plan not to for ANY of the expenses as I'm boringly conservative *yawn*) and for this, I am moving somewhere and taking up a lease which will coincide for this contract I am taking up...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            what does your brolly say ?
            At the end of the day, this is the important question - what does your brolly say?

I think it's claimable, but you don't work for me - it's up to whoever you are working for to let you know whether to claim it or not.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Gotcha, TheFaqqer - cool. Thanks, guys.

Comment

If you are going to be living there you shouldn't claim it. If you rent/own a place you live in, and then rent another place for 5 nights a week while you are working it will be ok.

If you are going to live there 7 days a week HMRC will say that you have to live in a property so it is not claimable as an expense because you are not paying out anything you wouldn't normally pay out.

HTH

Comment

Do what I do, get your client to pay the rent for you!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

- Whether you are there 5 or 7 days a week makes no difference to whether it is claimable. What does make a difference is whether you have a permanent residence elsewhere that you would normally be using. If no then it is not claimable. If yes then it is claimable subject to all the caveats mentioned previously.

How you claim it depends on your Brolly. If they won't let you claim it through their expenses system (whatever they use) then you will need to claim it through your tax return

Comment

Working...
                    X