• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting fraud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting fraud

Moral Dilemma for you.

Just found out someone i dont like is due to make a stash of cash (close to 1M) from a VAT carousel fraud scheme. He's a small fish, big players in the same scheme set to make many millions. Should i shop him? Would IR be interested in such a small fish or are they do busy making us contractors deemed employees?

Some not nice characters will be involved if it's multi millions, do your civic duty, keep your head down and walk on by if I was you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meerkat
      Moral Dilemma for you.

Just found out someone i dont like is due to make a stash of cash (close to 1M) from a VAT carousel fraud scheme. He's a small fish, big players in the same scheme set to make many millions. Should i shop him? Would IR be interested in such a small fish or are they do busy making us contractors deemed employees?

IR won't care, VAT definatley will. HMRC are all one happy familty now but Revenue and VAT are still two seperate operations.

From the DirectGov website.

You can report VAT fraud by calling the Customs Confidential hotline, 0800 595 000, open 24 hours, seven days a week.

You don't have to give your name or any personal details.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Moral Dilemma for you.

What do the other Meerkats think?
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Do you want a horses head in your bed?

Comment

Moral Dilemma for you.

If someone is up to this sort of malarkey it is pretty serious stuff.

Whatever your motives for passing on this info (its serious criminal activity whatever you think of the guy) it would be worth considering one or two things carefully before making the call.

1. Is it true?

2. If he was nabbed, could he trace the info back to you?

3. Would the rest of his chums be dragged into it?

If the answer to 2 and 3 is Yes then think carefully. Not saying don't do it - just be careful.

Comment

Better idea is to find out how he does it and share with us.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                Do you want a horses head in your bed?

It would be better than some of the sights I've woken up next to in my drunken youth.

Seriously though, if you know this, does that mean that they know that you know it? If so, any anonymity offered may be worthless.

If they can't suspect you then go for it.

Comment

Its definately true. Not sure if he could trace it back to me, the bigger players dont know i exist and i think he may have been shooting his mouth about it to other people (girls! ) as well. . I think VAT are already on to him because apparently the payout has been delayed a number of times due to 'interest' from HMRC on where this money has come from. He's also had a bank account closed by the banks fraud dept - not sure if they pass that info on to HMRC? The main players are very very very big fish. To be honest i would like to see him get what he deserves, but obviously dont want to draw any attention to me either.
                  Last edited by Meerkat; 19 June 2007, 14:44.

Comment

Can't you get in trouble yourself for not notifying the relevant authorities if it can be proved that you were aware of it?
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X