• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And some of you complain about America and their visa's!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And some of you complain about America and their visa's!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6768405.stm

Oh dear!

Mailman

Well, now they will decline visas to the same people, but it will be formulated as: "Officer has no confidence that the person won't remain in the UK after visa expires" or words to that effect. It will sound more fair, but the result will be the same.

Comment

All sounds pretty reasonable to me. If I was in charge I would refuse visas to people for being foreign.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I suspect half the people who dish out these visas can't speak english either...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          All sounds pretty reasonable to me. If I was in charge I would refuse visas to people for being foreign.
          They should be automatically refused on the grounds that we don't want to grant access to anyone stupid enough to want to come here in the first place.

With due respect to Groucho Marx
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            I suspect half the people who dish out these visas can't speak english either...
            It's been a while since I got visa in Moscow's embassy (not missing that time at all to be honest), but when I was the officers in charge were strictly English - white females and males.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              It's been a while since I got visa in Moscow's embassy (not missing that time at all to be honest), but when I was the officers in charge were strictly English - white females and males.
              No way!
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

i've got quite a bit of experience with the uk immigration service. basically, they're very very good at their jobs usually. however, they're also very touchy about anyone taking the piss and using visas for purposes other than the one they're intended for. for example the woman who wanted to live as a housewife with her fiance should have applied for a spouse visa.

they can also smell a rat a mile off. they're not stupid. if tey suspect someone is up to something they can easily refuse for a spurious reason rather than directly reveal suspicions which can be challenged. people i know who've had problems all have one thing in common: they've tried to buck the system in some way, or else tried to conceal something.
                They seek him here, they seek him there. He must be playing hide & seek.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
                  No way!
                  Best no one tells Ken Livingston!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by anally retentive
                    they can also smell a rat a mile off. they're not stupid. if tey suspect someone is up to something they can easily refuse for a spurious reason rather than directly reveal suspicions which can be challenged. people i know who've had problems all have one thing in common: they've tried to buck the system in some way, or else tried to conceal something.
                    Yes, I'd say this is about right.

Comment

Working...
                    X