• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A diagonal slice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A diagonal slice...

Just got an email asking if I want to attend 'a diagonal slice' session... WTF??? The world has gone mad.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Just got an email asking if I want to attend 'a diagonal slice' session... WTF??? The world has gone mad.
    Pizza anyone!
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Diagonal Slice (DS)

A diagonal slice analysis is more of a practical response to the difficulties of interviewing, assessing and reporting on lots of people within large organisations.

What DS does is accept that by taking a representative cross section (a diagonal slice through the organisation), you will pick-up a number of people within any given role, and that these people will represent the skills, knowledge and attitudes of a number of their peers.

To be effective the DS requires input from managers/line managers to ensure the analysis group really does represent a valid cross section of their team/part of the organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
        Pizza anyone!
        That's a Sector Slice session.

Comment

Oh feck me now it’s already been abbreviated to a 'DS'... I give up
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Oh feck me now it’s already been abbreviated to a 'DS'... I give up
            Sounds like permie nonsense to me. I sugest you decline the invite....

Comment

Ah yes, I know where you work then...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

What DS does is accept that by taking a representative cross section (a diagonal slice through the organisation), you will pick-up a number of people within any given role, and that these people will represent the skills, knowledge and attitudes of a number of their peers.

To be effective the DS requires input from managers/line managers to ensure the analysis group really does represent a valid cross section of their team/part of the organisation.
                Slice, OK. What's "diagonal" about it?

Or is it just a phrase that someone has heard (it does have a meaning: to slice or scan across 2 dimensions, gaining something from each) and thought would make their simple concept sound more cool?

Gibberish 2.0
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Just as long as you "keep us in the loop" on this one ok?

We should start a thread on company buzzwords....

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    Slice, OK. What's "diagonal" about it?

Or is it just a phrase that someone has heard (it does have a meaning: to slice or scan across 2 dimensions, gaining something from each) and thought would make their simple concept sound more cool?

Gibberish 2.0
                    It does have a logic to it. If you imagine the hierarchies of several departments drawn side-by-side, there are your two dimensions.

Comment

Working...
                    X