• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting seriously buttered up to go perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting seriously buttered up to go perm

My current client is buttering me up something serious. I am on around 400 per day and they are offering ma a 50k salary, 5k on call, plus overtime, 25 days leave, no probabtionary period, I can pick choose 3 courses and book them right away. They even said take a few weeks paid leave without effecting your allocation.

I'm pretty impressed. I have been in contracting for around 7 years and my current client is within 5miles from home. Not offering anymore extensions. I like it here and its very flexible.

what dya rekon...worth going back to the dark side? Is it a fair salary for teh rate I am on?

Originally posted by weboo
    My current client is buttering me up something serious. I am on around 400 per day and they are offering ma a 50k salary, 5k on call, plus overtime, 25 days leave, no probabtionary period, I can pick choose 3 courses and book them right away. They even said take a few weeks paid leave without effecting your allocation.

I'm pretty impressed. I have been in contracting for around 7 years and my current client is within 5miles from home. Not offering anymore extensions. I like it here and its very flexible.

what dya rekon...worth going back to the dark side? Is it a fair salary for teh rate I am on?
    If they want you, and that was their first offer, you should be good for at least another 10k, IMHO...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Can they throw in a good company car (or allowance), top medical including full dental, training to get you all the certs you ever want, stock options, discounted share (saving) scheme and a final salary pension?

If they can, then take it.

Comment

What keeps me away from perm is the whole direction and control aspect of it. Having a boss, being told what to do, having to join in all the mundane BAU and operational rubbish as well as interesting project work.

Or to put it another way, the stuff you do day-to-day may change for the worse if you go perm because your employer has more control over you.

Having said that, it's a good salary and benefits.

Comment

That sounds like a decent deal. Depends if you want it.
          Take the training, make sure you get the experience then back on contract at a premium rate with your new skills. Bosh. Lovely jubbly.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

sounds ok, but I'd push the rate up by 10-20k and go for the share options etc..
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

hmmm

400 per day or 50k per year

bit of a no brainer really

Milan.

Comment

I think you need to push for more. I got an 80k basic, 6k car allowance, 12 k bonus and benefits and I was only on £350 p/d at the time (7 miles from home)

Now that really was a no brainer!

If they want you. They'll pay!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Quick and dirty calculation based on you working the same number of days as a contractor and a permie.

260 Working days per year.

-9 Bank Holidays

-25 Days holiday

= 226 working days.

At your daily rate that = £90,400

Assuming take home of %75 = £67,800

Not accounting for Sick days etc. and assuming you are in continuous employment for the whole 12 months.

They are offering a Salary of £55,000 total

Tax and NI on £55,000 = ~£17,000.

Take home around = £38,000

Add on 3 Training courses totalling £10,000 ( for the sake of argument ) that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Adjust to suit your actual take home and you'll get a rough idea of how much better/worse of you will be. Doesnt take account of intangiables like working arrangements, having to deal with HR, annual appraisals etc.

Personally I'd hold out for more.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    That sounds like a decent deal. Depends if you want it.
                    Take the training, make sure you get the experience then back on contract at a premium rate with your new skills. Bosh. Lovely jubbly.
                    LG - have you spoken to any permies in Belgium about wages? This post really shows the difference in salaries between Britain and most of mainland Europe. It sounds like 80k+ euros plus benefits. I don't think many senior IT managers get that here.

The package, location, sweeteners all sound good and you might be able boost them BUT like chicane said above - could you adapt to permiedom. I don't think I could do it now.

Comment

Working...
                    X