• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit card fraud effectively leaglised

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card fraud effectively leaglised

Home Office accused of not investigating credit card fraud

Banks decide which cases should be investigated by police

The Home Office was accused of failing to take credit card fraud seriously after it was revealed it could no longer be reported by victims directly to the police.

Under rules which came into force in April, it is now the responsibility of banks to decide which offences to pass on for investigation, BBC2\'S Newsnight discovered.

Critics suggested the move was being made to reduce crime figures and demanded a rethink.

Almost £430 million was lost as a result of credit and debit card fraud in the UK last year.

Tory e-crime spokesman James Brokenshire said: "With one in three people being the victim of credit card fraud, it\'s essential that there is no reduction in reporting or any suggestion that this type of crime is being downgraded - especially if this is to bring down reported crime levels.

"It is therefore astonishing that the Home Office seems perfectly happy to just rely on the banks to sort it out.

"The Government clearly hasn\'t got a grip on this issue or an appreciation of the seriousness or scale of the problem."

A Home Office spokesman confirmed that discretion had been handed to the banks to ensure the police could concentrate on cases "more likely to result in a positive outcome".

He said: "The Government is determined to tackle the problem of card fraud, whether the account holder is an individual or multi-million pound organisation and we are working closely with finance and retail sectors along with the police to tackle this crime.

"Since April 1, financial institutions have been responsible for reporting acts of card fraud to specifically designated police contacts.

"Financial institutions work closely with the police and will report such offences with the supporting information which the police need.

"On occasions where financial institutions recognise there is insufficient evidence to support a police investigation they may choose not to report a crime.

"These changes to reporting procedures ensure that police resources can be directed at fraudulent activity that is more likely to result in a positive outcome.

"As always individual police forces will decide how best to allocate resource for dealing with crime.

"Apacs (the UK payments association) keeps comprehensive data on all fraud on UK issued cards.

"Home Office statistics publications will use this data as giving the best overall picture of levels and trends in card fraud."

Sandra Quinn of Apacs told last night\'s Newsnight the police had not been investigating minor cases before the new rules, which the banks had not requested, came into place.

"Unfortunately the police don\'t have the resources to investigate all types of card fraud," she said.

She insisted that hundreds of cases were being reported every month.

"As an industry we have a vested interest in making sure card fraud is investigated and the fraudsters prosecuted."

Asked if the banks were not now acting as "judge and jury" when the fraud was committed by their own staff, she said: "It is not in our interests as an industry to not be up front about this.

"One of our great concerns is the security of our customers\' money."

Apparently since April there have been no reports of credit card fraud in North Yorkshire or the West Midlands, and only a few nationwide.

I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Home Office accused of not investigating credit card fraud

Banks decide which cases should be investigated by police

The Home Office was accused of failing to take credit card fraud seriously after it was revealed it could no longer be reported by victims directly to the police.

Under rules which came into force in April, it is now the responsibility of banks to decide which offences to pass on for investigation, BBC2\'S Newsnight discovered.
    Apparently since April there have been no reports of credit card fraud in North Yorkshire or the West Midlands, and only a few nationwide.
    Well, who is the victim? If your card details are used fraudulently, you complain to the issuing bank, and the bank reimburses you, then you are not a victim. Hence you have no crime to report.

I don't think it's the police wanting less to investigate, I think it's the banks wanting to minimise the scale of fraud in case they frighten people off using credit cards.

Personally I pay cash in filling stations. That removes a good 50% of the risk.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Well, who is the victim? If your card details are used fraudulently, you complain to the issuing bank, and the bank reimburses you, then you are not a victim. Hence you have no crime to report.

I don't think it's the police wanting less to investigate, I think it's the banks wanting to minimise the scale of fraud in case they frighten people off using credit cards.

Personally I pay cash in filling stations. That removes a good 50% of the risk.
      The home office instigated this change to massage crime statistics, the banks won't bother reporting the one off frauds. 0.5 million pounds worth of fraud is committed in Britain every day. Remember it's not just credit cards, it's debit cards. A debit card is your money, added to that not all banks will refund fraudulent transactions. Saying it isn't a problem because you might get it back off someone else is saying crime is OK if you are compensated by a third party. IMHO thieves should be convicted and getting compensation shouldn't be a reason for not doing that.
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

So what exactly do the police invstigate these days??

They don't do card fraud.
        They wait until a fight is over before turning up
        They don't want to deal with the majority of RTA's (unless it is a serious one)
        They don't have motorway cops anymore, just stupid highways officers who can't stop the w*nker in the BMW and tell him that 1mm from the car in front at 90mph is not safe driving.

Do they just try and fit up a few muslims now and again to justify the war on terror and shoot the odd bloke that looks at them in a funny way ?

Comment

Don't you still have to report the crime to the police, so you get a crime number, so the bank can claim it against their insurance? I had to report it the one time it happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956
            Don't you still have to report the crime to the police, so you get a crime number, so the bank can claim it against their insurance? I had to report it the one time it happened to me.
            No, it is now up to the bank to decide whether to report it or not. Imagine some fraudster rips off 100 people from 1 bank. If the bank chooses to report him they could send in 1 crime report instead of 100 from the individuals concerned. It seems since April, no-one has comitted fraud in two of the biggest counties in the UK, when prior to April fraud was running at 1/2 million a day UK wide.

Comment

You are relying on the banks not sleazing out of repaying the stolen cash are you? Did you not see that doco a few weeks ago where a number of people who had tens of thousands of pounds stolen had their "requests" declined from the banks because the banks determined they were at fault (even though clearly they were not at fault).

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956
                That's the point! Because you're not allowed to report it any longer, there's no crime number, hence the crime statistics go down.

Just think, in a few weeks time the UK will be free of card fraud once and for all!
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  So what exactly do the police invstigate these days??

They don't do card fraud.
                  They wait until a fight is over before turning up
                  They don't want to deal with the majority of RTA's (unless it is a serious one)
                  They don't have motorway cops anymore, just stupid highways officers who can't stop the w*nker in the BMW and tell him that 1mm from the car in front at 90mph is not safe driving.

Do they just try and fit up a few muslims now and again to justify the war on terror and shoot the odd bloke that looks at them in a funny way ?
                  I think you're being very unfair to the police. The were absolutlely marvelous to Jemima

Comment

One wonders when burgulary will get similar treatment. It's usually a cautionable offence now. Surely if you have insurance it's victimless too?

Comment

Working...
                    X