• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shimano 105 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano 105 question

Not just for him but others possibly

Why does my 105 chain ring gear not always want to move to the larger wheel ?

It will go over if i manage a cadence > 150, which often is not practical
    After all the adjusting on the 2 damn screws and still not any better, and even Sheldon Browns site can't help

Could there be some damage or should I just take it apart and re attach to the frame?

TIA

MG
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Sorry I am not an expert on bikes and can't answer this question

Comment

I would say the most obvious cause would be a slack cable to the front mech. Try and tighten it (tiny bit at a time) with the adjuster on your cable stop or shifter, depending upon your setup.

Alternatively you could tighten the cable by undoing the bolt holding it at the front mech and pulling it with pliers. The idea is to get rid of any slack, but not to have the cable too tight to facilitate a shift down to the smaller ring.

Other causes could be front mech too far away from chainring or the wrong shape (i.e. a double mech on a triple chainring) - but I bet the cable tension is the culprit.

HTH.

Comment

ta Shim

I'll give it a go

MG
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
          I would say the most obvious cause would be a slack cable to the front mech. Try and tighten it (tiny bit at a time) with the adjuster on your cable stop or shifter, depending upon your setup.

Alternatively you could tighten the cable by undoing the bolt holding it at the front mech and pulling it with pliers. The idea is to get rid of any slack, but not to have the cable too tight to facilitate a shift down to the smaller ring.

Other causes could be front mech too far away from chainring or the wrong shape (i.e. a double mech on a triple chainring) - but I bet the cable tension is the culprit.

HTH.
          I have a similar problem with my XT & Shram setup, when on the smallest front, I could not drop to the two smallest on the rear. After reading a book on the subject apparently this is common!
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            ta Shim

I'll give it a go

MG
            Do make sure you update us all with the outcome.

Comment

You may want to enlist a helpful friend if you're adjusting the cable where it connects to the mech, it can be a slight pain. Especially if the little metal cap on the end of the cable comes off and it comes apart and shreds your fingers. Aah, memories.

Comment

I have a car.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I have a car, and a bicycle, and a motorcycle. And I'd really love it if someone could give me a helicopter too. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                    I have a car.
                    I have 3 cars, 2 road bikes and 2 mountain bikes

Taking the cars up the Surrey hills just isn't as enjoyable

Comment

Working...
                    X