• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Vista on new laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Vista on new laptop

Ok so my laptop crashed, and I spoke thewife and she cleared funds to buy a new one.

So I happily skipped down to PC Turd, to go see what they have to offer.
    Thery had Toshiba's, which I liked they only problem is that all machines come pre installed with MS Vista!!!

How do you guys rate itthis far?
    Last edited by cykophysh39; 22 June 2007, 17:20.
    threenine.co.uk
    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Go for Vista Business or Ultimate, they should do the job. Laptop needs 1 GB minimum for Vista, I would go for one with 2 GB.

HTH
    The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
      How do you guys rate itthis far?
      My new laptop has vista, I spent hours trying to get my old software working on vista. All sorts of problems must run as admin, lost help, downloaded patches etc. Ended up having to fork out for upgrades of the programs as I couldn't get the old version to run. Now none of my printers/scanners run on vista, NO driver on the manfactures site.
      Moving to Vista is not cheep !
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Yeah I got 2GB memory etc on

It worries me a bit, I have MSDN subscription, so I need VS2005 , sql2005 on, and I|'m away. But worries me is the connectivty. I.E for a client in Ireland I connect via vpn, using fortisnnet in Firefox. Will this still work?

I have heard so many tales of woe from people who took the Vista Plunge, and they all seem to be rather painful experience.
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread18500.html

It is a big bag of utter ollox!!!!

Comment

Laptop needs 1 GB minimum for Vista
            Mate..i have a lenovo T60 dual core with vista running on it.

i feel that this is BARE MINUMUM. The moment I have VS2005, MSSQL Server, things start to become slow.

i would wait if i were u for the laptop hardware to speed up for vista...until then stick with XP

Comment

Installed Vista Business on a 2yr old Dell D410 (P-M 1.60GHz CPU & 1Gb RAM) 6 months ago and it ran OK if a little bit slow.

Upgraded the RAM to the max the laptop can support (2Gb) about a month ago which made a fair amount of difference as I am also running Office 2007.

Initially, Vista was a pain in the ass as it doesn't support most old hardware (printers, scanners etc) and the manufacturers have used this as an opportunity to force you to buy new hardware.

Also, I had to upgrade some of my software as the old versions were no longer compatible.

I would suggest you make a list of your current peripherals and software and check to see if they will work with Vista first.

Don't forget, that even if you do buy a new Vista laptop, you can always downgrade it to XP.

I'm now used to it and quite like some of the features but, TBH, it's just a shiny version of XP.

Comment

I'm using it on mine and the only real problem I have is copying files accross the network and deleting files. Sometimes goes nice and quick and sometimes takes for bloody ever.

Apart from that it hasn't crashed on me yet and works with the hardware/software I want it to.

Comment

the only real problem I have copying files accross the network and deleting files.
                  so true...it seems to be doing a lot of "calculations" when any sort of file copy/delete operations are taking place over the network.

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
                    PC Turd
                    I guess my juvenile sense of humour is well and truly alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X