• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Say "No" to requests for directions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say "No" to requests for directions

I asked some employee of British rail at Waterloo the other week which platform trains left for Basingstoke as all the electronic boards were down. He said that I am a ticket inspector and I dont give directions.

Heard a similar story on another thread.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

I think that the term you are alluding to is a 'jobsworth'.

Why is someone who takes this approach so despised? I mean, if someone asked you a pc techie question would you not become a 'jobsworth' by not wishing to get involved?

Comment

Can't really blame them for not wanting to step outside their brief DA.

It seems train 'conductors' now face dismissal if they show any leniancy to poor sods who can't buy tickets before boarding due to massive queues. Such unfortunates must be treated as 'Fare Dodgers' when they ask to buy a ticket on the train.

Anyway. Since when did we have 'conductors' on trains. We had guards on trains in my day - and conductors on buses!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

The point that I am making is that in the case of Rightstuff's refusal to help his client he displays the mentality of a 1960's trade unionist. The client has a problem that he wants some help with and the contractor refuses because it is "not his job". If anyone in my company ever turned to me and said that in similar circumstances I would not be pleased.

All he has to do is see the request as a client's problem, and help the client with a solution to the problem. If the client asks him to interview 100 people and do his contract work on time then that is unreasonable.

The world works not according to a fixed set of rules but according to mutual compromises and agreements determined by a whole host of real time issues and emotions. The guy has a problem not a job vacancy, the contractor is there to help solve clients problems not "do a job". If for example a client asks me if I can include a contractor from another agency in a lunch for him and my other contractors, I am not going to shake my contract in his face and say no am I?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          I asked some employee of British rail at Waterloo the other week which platform trains left for Basingstoke as all the electronic boards were down. He said that I am a ticket inspector and I dont give directions.

Heard a similar story on another thread.
          I was trying to identify the the platform for a train a foreign visitor needed at Victoria, which I knew was due to leave soon. I couldn't find the information on the electronic board so I asked the person at the gate. He told me to look at the board. I told him I was asking him because I couldn't find the information on the board. He told me to look at the board. I tried repeatedly to ask the question and explain in as many ways possible that I hadn't been able to get the information from the board, and he just kept repeating exactly the same sentence each time.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
            I was trying to identify the the platform for a train a foreign visitor needed at Victoria, which I knew was due to leave soon. I couldn't find the information on the electronic board so I asked the person at the gate. He told me to look at the board. I told him I was asking him because I couldn't find the information on the board. He told me to look at the board. I tried repeatedly to ask the question and explain in as many ways possible that I hadn't been able to get the information from the board, and he just kept repeating exactly the same sentence each time.

Maybe he was a recruitment consultant?

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
              Maybe he was a recruitment consultant?
              Why, did he ask for references?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                The point that I am making is that in the case of Rightstuff's refusal to help his client he displays the mentality of a 1960's trade unionist. The client has a problem that he wants some help with and the contractor refuses because it is "not his job". If anyone in my company ever turned to me and said that in similar circumstances I would not be pleased.

All he has to do is see the request as a client's problem, and help the client with a solution to the problem. If the client asks him to interview 100 people and do his contract work on time then that is unreasonable.

The world works not according to a fixed set of rules but according to mutual compromises and agreements determined by a whole host of real time issues and emotions. The guy has a problem not a job vacancy, the contractor is there to help solve clients problems not "do a job". If for example a client asks me if I can include a contractor from another agency in a lunch for him and my other contractors, I am not going to shake my contract in his face and say no am I?
                All this because you disagree with what I did. Thanks.

off to lunch with my client now -

P.S bothered

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
                  Did you punch him?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                    All this because you disagree with what I did. Thanks.

off to lunch with my client now -

P.S bothered
                    Just make sure you take your full hour

Comment

Working...
                    X