• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peak Oil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak Oil

I reckon there's a few people on here who could rip Peak Oil theory to pieces, and frankly I'd be interested to read their comments.

It's a fascinating subject anyway and I freely admit that I'm completely convinced - oil's running out fast and we're going to have to accept enormous changes in our current way of life once it's gone. The only real issue for me is exactly when it's going to happen. Some say it's imminent and there will be a total collapse of society when it comes. Others say it will be a slow process, possibly over decades, and we just have to adapt as we go along and we'll be fine.

That site's well worth a read anyway. I'm keen to hear from people on here though because most forums which cover this topic are full of believers and there's very little actual debate. Seems to me that I can look forward to a more cynical opinion on CUK. I certainly hope so.

Originally posted by dang65
    I reckon there's a few people on here who could rip Peak Oil theory to pieces, and frankly I'd be interested to read their comments.

It's a fascinating subject anyway and I freely admit that I'm completely convinced - oil's running out fast and we're going to have to accept enormous changes in our current way of life once it's gone. The only real issue for me is exactly when it's going to happen. Some say it's imminent and there will be a total collapse of society when it comes. Others say it will be a slow process, possibly over decades, and we just have to adapt as we go along and we'll be fine.

That site's well worth a read anyway. I'm keen to hear from people on here though because most forums which cover this topic are full of believers and there's very little actual debate. Seems to me that I can look forward to a more cynical opinion on CUK. I certainly hope so.

A myth created by the Millitary Industrial complex to justify Imperialism and high oil prices.

Comment

**** it we'll just make oil from coal if it comes to that. The Nazis did in WW2 so there.

Comment

Also,

Do you really think we don't have alternative technologies that we could use if we really wanted to??

I bet that if oil suddenly ran out there would be tons of nuclear and bio-diesel plants opening up to make up the shortfall.

Comment

...and the Middle East loses all it's leverage against the West & reverts to being a fly blown sand pit
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Conspiracy Theory 101: The petroleum companies have already developed alternative fuel technologies for commercial rollout, however the margins are wafer-thin. The strategic plan is therefore to hold back the alternative technologies until oil (charged at massive margins) supply significantly diminishes and further extraction becomes commercially unviable. Pure commercial imperative is running this show.
            "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
              Conspiracy Theory 101: The petroleum companies have already developed alternative fuel technologies for commercial rollout, however the margins are wafer-thin. The strategic plan is therefore to hold back the alternative technologies until oil (charged at massive margins) supply significantly diminishes and further extraction becomes commercially unviable. Pure commercial imperative is running this show.
              I've got to go along with Swamp Thing on this one. Haven't you seen those biomass boilers that you can allegedly buy but are really hard to get hold of?

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
                A few years ago I was drinking with a mate who had come up with a fool proof means of making fuels from old kebabs discarded on a Friday night.

Needless to say, a few weeks later he was tragically killed in a hit and run accident.

Need I say more...

Comment

I read an article recently (New Scientist, I think) where some chap reckoned he had a process that could supply all of the USA's fuel needs simply by reprocessing all the States garbage. I think his pilot project produced a barrel of oil for every ton of turkey giblets
                  Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

canadian shoals have the biggest reserve of oil ever found
                    and also US is also saving its oil reserves for future use
                    peak oil will never be reached

Comment

Working...
                    X