PDA

View Full Version : TOAD for Oracle Question

Moose423956
22nd June 2007, 12:46
Hello Toad experts. I've just started a new job where I'm learning Oracle, and I'm trying to get to grips with Toad, which I've used a bit before.

However, I have a problem which I can't find a resolution for, and I thought I'd ask for help here.

When I run some SQL (e.g. SELECT * FROM dual), the results aren't available to view. I can see them scroll up the page really quickly, but after that they disappear, and I can't get them back. Unfortunately, I can't read that quickly (unlike Mr Spock in Star Trek), so I can't see the query results.

No-one else here knows how to fix it. Anyone out there know?

scotspine
22nd June 2007, 13:00
there is a setting, forget which, in the options to execute or run immediately, something like that

Moose423956
22nd June 2007, 13:17
there is a setting, forget which, in the options to execute or run immediately, something like that

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I can't find it. There is something called "Immediate edit" under Data Grids / Visual, but changing that doesn't seem to resolve the problem.

thunderlizard
25th June 2007, 10:03
Lawks. That ain't right!

Are you maybe hitting the "run as script" (lightning) button, instead of the "run" button (green arrow? only 4 weeks away and rusty already!)? SELECT results should sit in a nice little grid for you.

Moose423956
25th June 2007, 10:25
Are you maybe hitting the "run as script" (lightning) button, instead of the "run" button (green arrow? only 4 weeks away and rusty already!)? SELECT results should sit in a nice little grid for you.

No, definitely using the green arrow.

If I could click on the "pin" on the data grid I could force it to be always visible apparently, but the "pin" icon disappears too quickly to be able to select it. Is there a menu option which will do the same thing?

Ardesco
25th June 2007, 10:32
Never seen that happen here. What version of TOAD are you using ?

Moose423956
25th June 2007, 10:36
Never seen that happen here. What version of TOAD are you using ?

SallyAnne
25th June 2007, 15:00
Hello Toad experts. I've just started a new job where I'm learning Oracle, and I'm trying to get to grips with Toad, which I've used a bit before.

However, I have a problem which I can't find a resolution for, and I thought I'd ask for help here.

When I run some SQL (e.g. SELECT * FROM dual), the results aren't available to view. I can see them scroll up the page really quickly, but after that they disappear, and I can't get them back. Unfortunately, I can't read that quickly (unlike Mr Spock in Star Trek), so I can't see the query results.

No-one else here knows how to fix it. Anyone out there know?

Toad is a uselsss pile of cr*p.

Can you not just use SQL*Plus?

I dont have Toad installed on my machine so I'm no help on the settings I'm afraid.

Ardesco
25th June 2007, 15:05

Same version here but i've never seen the behaviour you describe, even had a go at fiddling some setting to try and make it happen and no joy :/

VJTheDJ
4th July 2007, 12:01
Try using SQL Developer (previously known as Project Raptor)
It is free and it is made by Oracle. It does not even need to be installed.
I simply unzipped it onto my hard drive and then ran the .exe file.
I know someone who runs it straight off a USB key.

Rocket
19th July 2007, 13:58
No, definitely using the green arrow.

If I could click on the "pin" on the data grid I could force it to be always visible apparently, but the "pin" icon disappears too quickly to be able to select it. Is there a menu option which will do the same thing?

Moose,

Just to clarify, are you running a query in the SQL Editor window? And you say that you click the green arrow right? In the SQL editor, the bottom part of the screen is for the data grid. Are you saying that the data scrolls away and disappears?

Apologies for stepping through the procedures...I use TOAD every day (way better then SQL Plus IMO) and I'd like to help if I can...

Moose423956
19th July 2007, 14:12
Just to clarify, are you running a query in the SQL Editor window? Correct And you say that you click the green arrow right? Correct In the SQL editor, the bottom part of the screen is for the data grid. Are you saying that the data scrolls away and disappears? Correct

Appreciate the help.

thunderlizard
19th July 2007, 19:07
blimey, it's been a month and you still haven't sussed it out?! I'd probably put the entire computer in the bin and buy a new one at this point.

Rocket
20th July 2007, 08:31
Just to clarify, are you running a query in the SQL Editor window? Correct And you say that you click the green arrow right? Correct In the SQL editor, the bottom part of the screen is for the data grid. Are you saying that the data scrolls away and disappears? Correct

Appreciate the help.

I'm using an earlier version of TOAD (8.0.0.47) and I can't duplicate this problem. Does it do the same thing if you use F9 to execute the current statement instead of the button? Probably will, but you never know...

I found this thread that sounds like whats happening to you...try a search on that site...it might point you in the right direction...

http://www.nabble.com/SE-%22hopping%22-data-pane-pain-while-F2%27d-tf601877.html#a1619951

HTH