• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Completely portable word processor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely portable word processor?

I'm trying to find a machine with the following spec:

1. Must be small enough to fit in pocket.
    2. Must have useable QWERTY keyboard.
    3. Must be able to read, write and save text files in PC readable format (notepad, MS Word).
    4. Must be able to transfer these files to and from a PC via USB, without having to install software on the PC first (so, like a plug and play USB pen drive for example).

The old Psion Series 5 was the right kind of size and had a great keyboard. it could also convert Word files both ways, though a bit fiddly - I want instant. It had to use Psion's own software to connect with too, which I want to avoid.

I'm not bothered with a fully functional modern PDA. I really don't want any more than an easily carryable word processor I can use when I'm on the train and then copy the text instantly to my PC when I get home or in to work.

Does something like that exist? I can't seem to find anything like it, just ever more laden down gadgets - which are very cool, I'm sure, but far more than I need.

Don't know if it will match your requirements but there are a few HTC phones that have a slide out full qwerty keyboard, run windows mobile and have pocket word/excel.

Comment

You'd have to install wm5torage and a better (=paid for) version of word than the free one though. Maybe that new large HTC thing (Athena?) might do it. Or a UMPC.

A tricky question though. I would definitely pay for a modern Psion 5 but running windows mobile, phone built in etc. The keyboard was awesome.

Comment

It fails on points 2-4, but a pad of paper and a pencil will work for point 1.

Comment

WM smartphone with one of those little foldy keyboards?

Nothing as good as a Psion around, these days.. Recent Nokia Communicators might have usable keybaords?

Comment

Originally posted by timh
            WM smartphone with one of those little foldy keyboards?
            That's a possible, yeah. I'll keep looking around.

With the number of people "writing their first novel" you'd think a gadget like the one I'm after would be a dead cert for good sales. As soon as you get a PDA or a modern phone you end up with a load of other distractions and never get down to anything creative.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
              It fails on points 2-4, but a pad of paper and a pencil will work for point 1.
              That's what I'm hoping to upgrade from.

Comment

Know you'll still have to write it down but what about a dictaphone? At least then when the thought comes into your head you've got a way to record it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  Don't know if it will match your requirements but there are a few HTC phones that have a slide out full qwerty keyboard, run windows mobile and have pocket word/excel.
                  How about the HTC Advantage

Not sure if it is available in Europe though.

Comment

Phwoar. I'm going to check that one out. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X