• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating Time Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating Time Off

I have just been asked to extend my contract for a further 3 months...

Good news.

However, i had intended to take a month off from work, and return in September if the client wanted me back.

My client says it is not possible to take 4 weeks off, as they need cover for other perm employees holiday entitlement.

They have asked me to reconsider my 4 weeks to 2 weeks holidays.

I already feel like a ******* permie here. Whats the deal?

Originally posted by el duder

Good news.

However, i had intended to take a month off from work, and return in September if the client wanted me back.

My client says it is not possible to take 4 weeks off, as they need cover for other perm employees holiday entitlement.

tell then you can do this, and will remian on call support so you can bill them for hte two weeks your away.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Walk away. It is not negotiable (unless you want it to be).

You might want to consider doubling your rate for that period as compensation.

But in the end you should just walk.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Or bring your substitution clause into play

Comment

Duder,
          Do what I recently did:
          "Yes I'm happy to accept the extension, although I have committed to £xxx of deposits/air fares etc, as I thought at the time there’d be no extension. I’ll let you have my mobile number if you need me”. Worked just fine.
          "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Good news.

Why not tell them you will reduce your 4 weeks to 2 weeks but would like to work a 4 day week for the rest of the contract. Take Wednesday off so it breaks the week up. You only ever work 2 days in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
              Why not tell them you will reduce your 4 weeks to 2 weeks but would like to work a 4 day week for the rest of the contract. Take Wednesday off so it breaks the week up. You only ever work 2 days in a row.
              I like that idea. 2 Days in a row will try that one out shortly
              Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

You read my mind. Very well.

Ill let you know the outcome.

Comment

You read my mind. Very well.

Ill let you know the outcome.
                  If it works tell me your tactics so I can use them on my client.

Comment

If it works tell me your tactics so I can use them on my client.
                    I don't think breaking down in tears and collapsing on the floor works that often, getting that pathetic looser look just right is a fine art.....

Comment

Working...
                    X