• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's most dangerous roads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's most dangerous roads

Britain's most dangerous roads (BBC)
    Britain's worst stretches of road have been named in a report by the Road Safety Foundation for the European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP). The report is based on accident statistics for 2003-2005.
    Why are they all up north? Is it because you northerners are crap drivers?

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Britain's most dangerous roads (BBC) Why are they all up north? Is it because you northerners are crap drivers?
    No, it is because our roads are so free of traffic that we can actualy achieve speeds that will kill us.

BTW. A very close friend was killed by a diesel spill on one of those roads and it is still a very raw nerve.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Good to see the roads to Buxton featured.. an excellent way to hone your driving skills when young....just not very forgiving of mistakes
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        Good to see the roads to Buxton featured.. an excellent way to hone your driving skills when young....just not very forgiving of mistakes
        Sorry, I'm going to have to have a bit of a rant on this one:

ALL ROADS ARE DANGEROUS!

The problem in this country is that our current driving test is far too easy and allows new drivers who have little or no true road sense to be piloting a ton and a half of steel around the streets with impunity.

I have been driving for 20 years, I have trained as a Grade 6 ADI (Approved Driving Instructor), have passed my Cardington Test (google it!) and hold my ARDS race instructor licence and I am still learning to drive on a daily basis.

We treat driving as a right and not a priviledge as it should really be treated and until we have a driving test which is a true test of skills and not a test of pure motor function and recall, people will be killed and maimed every day.

I have put 22 drivers through the test and all of my pupils passed first time - however I would not class any of them as competent drivers until they have had a good few years of experience under their belt!

RANT OVER...

Comment

Originally posted by spiderlover
          The problem in this country is that our current driving test is far too easy and allows new drivers who have little or no true road sense to be piloting a ton and a half of steel around the streets with impunity

Absolutely agree.

My neighbour's 17 year old lad was telling me a couple of weeks ago just how easy and unchallenging the theory test is. Completely dumbed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            My neighbour's 17 year old lad was telling me a couple of weeks ago just how easy and unchallenging the theory test is. Completely dumbed down.
            How would all the "intellectually challenged" people pass their driving tests if it wasn't so trivial?

Comment

The theory test only serves as a revenue generation excercise. I've met some pretty thick people in my time, but I can't think of any who would actually fail it

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                How would all the "intellectually challenged" people pass their driving tests if it wasn't so trivial?

The point here is that if you wanted to fly an aircraft or helicopter, the instruction, training and exams are quite rigorous because you can kill people in command of such modes of transport. You can also kill alot of people driving a car but the need to prove your worth before going on the roads seems less of a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Britain's most dangerous roads (BBC) Why are they all up north? Is it because you northerners are crap drivers?
                  I am surprised neither the A12 or A47 are on that list

Comment

The theory test is merely a test of learning by rote - any fool can pass it if they have a half decent memory.

The practical test is seen as a test of driving skills, hwoever it has been diluted over the years as the DSA publish all of the test routes online and with a bit of practice, anyone can pass. The way forward in my mind is to have a practical test on a random route, including motorways and dual carriageways followed up with a second test after a period of time to unlearn the bad habits. Some form of sanctions would be required during the intervening period, such as inflated insurance premiums to give people more of an incentive to learn to drive devensively rather than offensively.

I think the authorities should also offer incentives for young or newly qualified drivers to take the Advanced/Cardington test and this would have a real impact on road casualties.

Comment

Working...
                    X