• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks transfering funds in by mistake??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks transfering funds in by mistake??

6 months ago Cater Allen transfered £2000 into our business account by mistake.

Yesterday Lloyds TSB have credited my wifes wages twice into her account by mistake. An extra £2300.

The chances are that Lloyds may see their mistake this week. But the Cater Allen one looks like it might go undiscovered even though at the time we queried the payment and they didn't know what it was themselves.

So the question is this...... can the banks ask for the money back at any time? Is there a cut off where they are unlikely to persue?

We've actually left the money alone thinking they will ask for it back.

Anyone else had something similar?

We discussed this not long back.

I think they can take the money back at any time (they do not have to ask) so put it in a high interest account for the duration and dont treat it as yours.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

hi my name is benty matunzie

i am a prince from swabubu land....

my father is a king but we need to get some money out the country can you help...
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

they are within their right to take the money back whenever they want with no notification.

this happens frequently
        Keep it clean!!!

Comment

This is like finding a wallet with a cash point card and pin number has been slipped into your pocket. Your supposed to hand it in. Best thing to do would be to notify the bank.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            We discussed this not long back.

I think they can take the money back at any time (they do not have to ask) so put it in a high interest account for the duration and dont treat it as yours.
            Only transfer it to a high interest account if you won't go overdrawn when they nab it back without asking.

They should tell you they're doing it though. I opened my first business account with Flemings (now Cater Allen) back in 1999. I opened it with £1 and they added £5000! Brilliant account I thought; never seen interest rates like it.

I didn't touch it though. A couple of weeks later I got a letter saying "oops, admin error, blah blah, we're just going to have our £5000 back, thanks".

I think they grabbed the interest it had accrued too. Gah!

Comment

I think they have up to 7 years to claim the money back
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

I had an agency mistakenly pay me £14k. I waited for them to notify me of their mistake and then got them t write to me explaining the mistake so that I had something to show the IR as so what the 14k was. In the meantime I stuck it in a high interest account.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Spend it then say "possession is 9\10 of the law, so bite me"...

Comment

I dont know why but I suspect that over 50% of you middle class f*cktards would keep the wallet and try to use the card with PIN. I read it somewhere.

er I know I would

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X