• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you imagine contracting without a car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you imagine contracting without a car ?

I don’t have one yet and can live without it. My real concern is that this puts agents off and label me an “amateur” ?
    Yes
    47.73%
    No
    31.82%
    It works both ways.
    20.45%

OK, so just lie. They'll never find out whether you can drive or not because you just turn up for work like all the other employees.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
      I don’t have one yet and can live without it. My real concern is that this puts agents off and label me an “amateur” ?
      I don't have one, but I live in London and generally work in the City.

If I lived and worked anywhere else I think it would be essential.

Comment

I haven't had a car for a while, smile as I walk home and see all the clamped cars.
        Agents blah!
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I used to think a car was essential and I live in London. Since I got rid of it I feel liberated. It pleases me that el Gordo can't screw me any more.
          Car=Money extraction device. And it's getting worse.
          Now I walk more, ride my bike and use the train as a place to read and relax.
          Life is better and I'm fitter.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            I used to think a car was essential and I live in London. Since I got rid of it I feel liberated. It pleases me that el Gordo can't screw me any more.
            Car=Money extraction device. And it's getting worse.
            Now I walk more, ride my bike and use the train as a place to read and relax.
            Life is better and I'm fitter.
            I don't think I've used my car to get to work on more than 6 or 7 days in 10 years of contracting.

2UK - I didn't even own a car for the first couple of years I was a self respecting business-in-my-own-right/tax-dodging-freelance-scumbag - never had a problem.

Now, threatening to sling people out of windows, that's a different matter
            Last edited by Rantor; 27 June 2007, 06:50.

Comment

I don't have a car either. Never had any problems with agents or getting work.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I have managed without car so far
                7 minutes walk to work and pop back home for lunch also.
                Maybe will need one for the next contract

Comment

I own a car but generally find the alternative ways of getting to work less stressful than driving, at least for this contract. 4 miles walk to work and 4 miles back - feel more energetic and more productive and less stressed.

Comment

All depends where you are based and the availability of contracts in the area. London no problem, loads of contracts and plenty of public transport out in the sticks a different matter (you may complain about the tube, buses, etc in the capital but at least you have it, albeit I wouldn't fancy the tube commute anymore, packed in, no fun).

Comment

Working...
                    X