• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT + Asset disposal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT + Asset disposal

Hi,
    I've got a 1.2TB ReadyNAS RAID-5 storage array. I'm thinking of dumping it on Ebay as it's now surplus to requirements. If I do this, do I have to charge VAT on it?

It's 2nd hand, but as it cost about £1000 new, and should be worth ~500 now I want to do it through the books.

Cheers...

Tom
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom
    Hi,
    I've got a 1.2TB ReadyNAS RAID-5 storage array. I'm thinking of dumping it on Ebay as it's now surplus to requirements. If I do this, do I have to charge VAT on it?

It's 2nd hand, but as it cost about £1000 new, and should be worth ~500 now I want to do it through the books.

Cheers...

Tom
    You don't pay VAT on second hand goods (I think).

IANAA, but I don't think you need to charge VAT on it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
    X