• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor & Friends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor & Friends

I have noticed over the course of this year, that i have no respect amongst the community of friends i have.

I have come to the conclusion that over the past 4 years, i have been living a somewhat blessed lifestyle, through sheer hard work and neglect of friends and family around me.

It seems i have developed an attitude of that i earn what i earn through sheer determination and hard work of getting contracts and putting myself out to go get the money. I tell them, that i work 12 hrs a day, travelling far a field to keep working, unlike many of my so called friends, that seem to be always skint at the end of the month, and plod along nicely in their permie jobs, live about 10mins from the office and basically have an attitude of i dont put myself out for work.

In have in the past 4 years, been;

travelling the world
    saved up a nice lump sum in savings
    bought a lovely retreat in the country
    a nice car
    varied experience working for a number of big companies/projects

Anyone else experienced similar backlash from friends and family?

Nah, they all love me.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
      I have noticed over the course of this year, that i have no respect amongst the community of friends i have.

I have come to the conclusion that over the past 4 years, i have been living a somewhat blessed lifestyle, through sheer hard work and neglect of friends and family around me.

It seems i have developed an attitude of that i earn what i earn through sheer determination and hard work of getting contracts and putting myself out to go get the money. I tell them, that i work 12 hrs a day, travelling far a field to keep working, unlike many of my so called friends, that seem to be always skint at the end of the month, and plod along nicely in their permie jobs, live about 10mins from the office and basically have an attitude of i dont put myself out for work.

In have in the past 4 years, been;

travelling the world
      saved up a nice lump sum in savings
      bought a lovely retreat in the country
      a nice car
      varied experience working for a number of big companies/projects

Anyone else experienced similar backlash from friends and family?

You and Sadguru should form the "Smug F*ckers Collective"

Comment

nah i don't act like a c**k around my mates ... i buy the rounds... talk to them about things that are important to them and always make time to at least send a text message to ask how things are going ....

its not all me me me me...
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

you still have friends? call yourself a contractor?

In answer to your question, no, but I've always attributed most of my (limited) success to luck rather than determination. And most of my friends have far more interesting jobs than I do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
            you still have friends? call yourself a contractor?

In answer to your question, no, but I've always attributed most of my (limited) success to luck rather than determination. And most of my friends have far more interesting jobs than I do anyway.
            Its nothing to do with luck my friend. You make your own luck in this life, and if you dont put yourself about i.e (if your not in it, you aint gonna win it).

It is amazing actually, cause i visited all my friends in the north who i havent seen in 6 years, and they were telling me stories and memories right out of the book.

I couldnt remember a damn single thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
              This doesn't sound like you, duder!? I have to say, with that kind of attitude you will most likely struggle on the social front.

'blessed lifestyle' - come on, mate. You're not David Beckham. Or even David Dickinson.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

So you reckon you'd still have got where you are today if you'd been born to a Darfurian farmer?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  This doesn't sound like you, duder!? I have to say, with that kind of attitude you will most likely struggle on the social front.

'blessed lifestyle' - come on, mate. You're not David Beckham. Or even David Dickinson.

I do think i have made mistakes in the past to try and better myself financially and career-wise.

I have alienated those who have been close around me.

I am going through a self-evaluation / reflective stage at the moment. Its been like this since turning 30.

Comment

Friends

How many real friends do we have anyway? People you can count on, who'll go out of their way when you're in a jam? I can count 'em on the fingers of one hand. And will go out of my way for them.
                    The rest are acquantainces, drinking partners, what have you and can go feck themselves.
                    But you do need a good and loyal bird.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X