• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free money?

If I can convince a Japanese bank to lend me £1M, the interest rate is less than 2%.

The Bank of Iceland current account pays out 14% interest.

That means I will be making £140K in interest and paying £20K in interest to the lender.

This is free money.

Originally posted by King Cnvt
    If I can convince a Japanese bank to lend me £1M, the interest rate is less than 2%.

The Bank of Iceland current account pays out 14% interest.

That means I will be making £140K in interest and paying £20K in interest to the lender.

This is free money.
    Assuming the realtive exhange rates of the two currenices dont change in the meantime.

Comment

Sir, you should be a currency trader...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
        If I can convince a Japanese bank to lend me £1M
        I think I can spot the flaw in your plan, Baldrick.

As pickle pointed out, if the Icelandic whatevers collapse against the yen then you'd have to pay back more than you'd borrowed.

Also, you haven't accounted for withholding tax taken by the Icelandic Hector.

I've thought about this from a smaller perspective and using the NZ rates (i.e. sending a wad of cash to NZ). The interest rates there are approx 11-12% and non-resident withholding tax is only 10%, but it's really the risk of exchange rate difference that will eat your capital.

The next step is to find a forex broker that doesn't charge interest, to leverage and short sell the base currency and so hedge your capital, but I think these are like rocking horse poo.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian
          The next step is to find a forex broker that doesn't charge interest, to leverage and short sell the base currency and so hedge your capital, but I think these are like rocking horse poo.
          I would guess you could do it easily enough with an option. At a rough guess I would expect the premium to be 12%.

Comment

You're better off spread betting.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
              Probably. As a friend once said:-

want to know how to make a small fortune in Forex......

start with a big one.

IGMC.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                Why?

I cannot see why this is better than borrowing at a very low rate and investing at a very high rate on money I don't even have?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                  Probably. As a friend once said:-

want to know how to make a small fortune in Forex......

start with a big one.

IGMC.

Comment

You obviously haven't heard of the Yen carry trade unravelling.

Comment

Working...
                    X