• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income Protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income Protection

Hi People

I just had a review with my financial advisor at HSBC and he's advising me to take out income protection. As a side, I already have life and critical illness cover which covers my mortgage.

The premiums for £2k/month until I'm 60 (i.e. 28 years to go) are:
    Deferred for 13 weeks premium is £56
    Deferred for 26 weeks premium is £44
    Deferred for 52 weeks premium is £38
    Deferred for 2 years premium is £34.60

I just wanted to know if many of you protect your income??
    If so, what is your deferred period?
    Last edited by Ansel; 27 June 2007, 14:13.

Originally posted by Ansel
    Hi People

I just had a review with my financial advisor at HSBC and he's advising me to take out income protection. As a side, I already have life and critical illness cover which covers my mortgage.

Ask for this post to be moved to Legal/Accounting please.

Comment

Depends on the personal circumstances. I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        Ask for this post to be moved to Legal/Accounting please.
        Seconded, wouldn't want anything interfering with the pithy cut n' thrust of ContractorUK discourse would we now....

Comment

All a complete waste of money. You do realise that the chances of them ever actually paying out is slim - none. The only way you can claim on those policies is if you fire yourself. Quitting won't cut it.
          I refuse to pay into scams like this, the policy isn't worth the paper it's written on IMHO.

Comment

At first I had it deferred for 6 months, because that's how long I would have been able to last without income.

Currently deferred for 1 year : I could now last a lot longer without income, but after looking at options similar to yours, there wasn't much to be saved in premiums by going for the 2 year option. Plus I reckoned if I did get put out of action, it would be the kind of 'hit by a lorry' injuries where you're back at work inside 2 years anyway (if you're not dead).

Comment

Thanks Thunderlizard.

Ardesco, what would you do if you (god forbid) lost your sight, what would you do for income?

Comment

Ardesco, what would you do if you (god forbid) lost your sight, what would you do for income?
                There is a lot to be said for converting to Islam at that point and eking out an existence as a mad mullah preaching hatred.
                Mind you, you need a silly beard, and the more false limbs you have the better too......so they say!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The same thing that other blind people do to make a living.

Just because to become disabled in one way doesn't mean that your life is over and you will never be able to work again.

Comment

Hi People

your financial advisor wants to screw money out of u son.

TRUST NO ONE.

Comment

Working...
                    X