• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky or Virgin Media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky or Virgin Media

I've currently got Sky but was thinking of getting a 40" Samsung LCD and getting Sky+, Sky broadband and their land line call package.

I thought I'd have a quick look at Virgin Media to see what package I could get from them.

There's no comparison. Sky is far superior. Only real reason for having Sky is for the sports so why would I get Virgin Media.

Has anyone got Virgin Media out there?

Also should I just go straight in and get sky's HD box instead of sky+?
    Seems a bit silly to buy a HD ready TV and not actually buy the SKY HD box.
    Only thing is it's £300 + £10 p/m.

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    I've currently got Sky but was thinking of getting a 40" Samsung LCD and getting Sky+, Sky broadband and their land line call package.

I thought I'd have a quick look at Virgin Media to see what package I could get from them.

There's no comparison. Sky is far superior. Only real reason for having Sky is for the sports so why would I get Virgin Media.

Has anyone got Virgin Media out there?

Also should I just go straight in and get sky's HD box instead of sky+?
    Seems a bit silly to buy a HD ready TV and not actually buy the SKY HD box.
    Only thing is it's £300 + £10 p/m.
    VM gets you a cable modem, more reliable than ADSL. If you're getting it for the TV only, don't get VM - there's no Sky One and no Sky+ (although they may have some similar new thingy coming soon).
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I use both
      Phone and NET = VM
      TV = Sky

I like to spread my money around Branson, Murdock and Brown
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I've got VM but now that they seem to have given up getting Sky One back I reckon I'll go over to Sky.
        Call the cops

Comment

I have VM and want to leave them as soon as I can. I originally signed up with Telewest who recently morphed into VM.

Since then they've jacked up the prices and now charge for services that were previously free. I'm wondering which goalpost they'll move next.

I'm in a rented flat so I have to ask the landlord if it's OK to have a dish installed. Also I don't want to swap out cable broadband for ADSL but VM are the only cable provider in my area and they know it - hence the El Gordo like behaviour

Feckers
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What about the 40" Samsung LCD? It's the latest one in Richer Sounds and Currys. They both say it's a no brainer and that's the best one to get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
              What about the 40" Samsung LCD? It's the latest one in Richer Sounds and Currys. They both say it's a no brainer and that's the best one to get.
              This one?

Looks ok, but don't buy one until you've seen it working - with HD and SD content. Some TVs can look lovely in HD but utter sh1t in SD.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                VM gets you a cable modem, more reliable than ADSL. If you're getting it for the TV only, don't get VM - there's no Sky One and no Sky+ (although they may have some similar new thingy coming soon).
                No Sky+

Wrong!

There is the Virgin equivelent V+ This has one extra tuner than Sky's offering so you can record two channels at the same time and watch a third.

It is also an HD reciever although currently there is only one HD Channel, available and that is the BBC

For Approx £85 you can get TV, Phone, and Broadband. The Phone is free for Standard numbers and you get reduced calls Internationally as well. Also access to Sky Movies and Sky Sport and it is HD as well. SD transmissions are upscaled and look far better for it.

If it was not for the lack of Sky One (and to be honest, there is not much on that worth watching) and a problem they currently have with the Red Button on the movies, I would have no hesitation in saying Virgin was the better product.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
                  No Sky+

Wrong!

There is the Virgin equivelent V+ This has one extra tuner than Sky's offering so you can record two channels at the same time and watch a third.

It is also an HD reciever although currently there is only one HD Channel, available and that is the BBC

For Approx £85 you can get TV, Phone, and Broadband. The Phone is free for Standard numbers and you get reduced calls Internationally as well. Also access to Sky Movies and Sky Sport and it is HD as well. SD transmissions are upscaled and look far better for it.

If it was not for the lack of Sky One (and to be honest, there is not much on that worth watching) and a problem they currently have with the Red Button on the movies, I would have no hesitation in saying Virgin was the better product.
                  I sit corrected.

But I'm a little annoyed at the lack of Sky One - 24, Lost etc. I end up buying the DVDs eventually.

Comment

I have VM (and before that it was NTL) - no problems so far, in four years.

I don't want a satellite dish on the outside of my house, which was built in 1891. I have 20Mb broadband, V+ box (which is better than Sky+), two boxes, free landline phone calls, all the works. Sky would have to become free before I consider moving it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X