• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Volcanic Walkouts.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volcanic Walkouts.....

Anyone ever walked out of a gig after a real "shove yer job up yer ###### ya ùùùùùùùù" moment?

Tips/Techniques?

I've never been fired or walked out in 20 yrs but this one is taking its toll.

God knows I've tried to sit back and think about the invoices but the whole eurodilbert experience is starting to wear a bit thin.....

Don't do it.

You'll feel a prat afterwards. Toys out of pram and all that.

Use the rage to inspire an escape plan to a better paid contract.

Comment

What exactly are the issues that are annoying you so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
        Tips/Techniques?
        twat the fecker

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
          but the whole eurodilbert experience is starting to wear a bit thin.....
          You are not in your home country? It's happened to me, where you wake up one day and you don't want to be there anymore. Anything the twats say get on your nerves. I have tried to get on with it but it has never worked for me.
          I usually check the end date of my contract and plan a holiday, expensive one, no cancelling. Start the countdown.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            And write the number of hours left on each page of your diary...

It gets you through unless the buggers extend...
            I knew a guy who had a count down clock program on his desktop
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Very, very nearly did it 2 weeks ago but thankfully it was a Friday and the boss wasn't around. Cooled down over the weekend, went in on the Monday and calmly and openly explained my frustrations complete with evidence to support and ideas to help. Things are a better now, not perfect, but bearable.

So, don't chuck the toys, do it constructively and appear helpful then just lie back and think of the money, fulfil your contract and get out at the end of it complete with an intact contract history and another reference.

If you must bale out then just lie about illness or some family commitments so you can leave on good terms. You never know when losing it will come back to haunt you.
              Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
                I knew a guy who had a count down clock program on his desktop
                When I was permanent, I wrote a little "count down to the weekend" screensaver (where 'the weekend' was 17:00 on a friday). Within a couple of months about 200 people in the company were using it. I was eventually reprimanded.

I've nearly walked out on a contract, but in the end agreed to a reasonable compromise which involved a project manager being forbidden to talk to me, and for a new tech lead to take over most of his job. It's worth making a fuss if there's no other option.

Comment

Was insulted by a senior manager (he'd been in the pub most of the day), promptly dropped him and walked out. No assault charge, last invoice was paid and immense satisfaction was had.

Didn't hurt the career prospects one bit, the same agency still calls from time to time despite being told to fuck off.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    And write the number of hours left on each page of your diary...
                    Unless like me, you are on week 17 of 40 - 23 more weeks is just plain depressing...
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                    X