• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fencing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fencing

Can't believe I'm posting this, but here goes.

Having a fenced erected at the w/end at my BTL property to keep the riff-raff next door at bay.

Ordered the panels during the week which come pre-treated with preservative.

As I am not a big fan of the neighbour, is it worth applying additional preservative/creosote etc to the panels before errecting the fence as once it's up it's not going to be possible to gain access to the neighbours side.

Initially thought I would treat prior to installation, but now reckon install them as is and to re-treat them in a few years by which time the w@anker next door should have moved on (as he is a tenant). Plus, I can't be @rsed to go to the DIY stores after work.
    Last edited by Clippy; 29 June 2007, 15:17.

Brick is harder to break than wood

HTH

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

You are allowed reasonable access to other property to carry out maintenance work. And if he is a tenant the landlord can give you permission as long as he (the tenant) has notice. When putting fencing up you are meant to put the good side out BTW.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I'd do them before you put them up.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I knew a guy who used old engine oil mixed with Creosote and then used to pay me to paint them (I was a kid)

It used to stink but I guess it got rid of his old engine oil.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
              You are allowed reasonable access to other property to carry out maintenance work. And if he is a tenant the landlord can give you permission as long as he (the tenant) has notice. When putting fencing up you are meant to put the good side out BTW.
              Erm don't get on with the landlord either - bit of a disagreement with him about, funnily enough, the fence.

He should be sticking it up as this boundary is his responsibility.

If it's an annual job, then the preservative on the panels should see me through to next year when I can worry about it then.

I'll stick a reminder in Outlook to post on here again next year to see what everyone thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                Can't believe I'm posting this, but here goes.

Having a fenced erected at the w/end at my BTL property to keep the riff-raff next door at bay.

Hey! I absolutely resemble that remark
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Build a wall instead and cement broken glass into the top of it. Will last longer, won't need as much work to stop it rotting and will give the riff raff next door a nasty shock if they try and climb over it

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Build a wall instead and cement broken glass into the top of it.
                    Isn't that illegal?

Comment

Working...
                    X