• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magistrate walks out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magistrate walks out

A Manchester magistrate who refused to deal with a defendant because she was wearing a full Muslim face veil could face disciplinary action.

Ian Murray, a Cheadle Hulme taxi driver who has served on the bench for 12 years, walked out of Manchester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

Zoobia Hussain, 32, of Crumpsall, who is charged with criminal damage, plans to write and complain, her lawyer said.

Mr Murray said he had been concerned about the defendant's identity.

'Deeply embarrassed'

If a complaint is received, Mr Murray will automatically face an internal investigation, a spokesman for the Judiciary of England and Wales said.

Hussain's lawyer, Judith Hawkins, said: "She [Mrs Hussain] remains shocked and distressed.

"She suffered hurt feelings and felt intimidated and deeply embarrassed by the treatment she received at court.

"She is also concerned for the feelings of others who were present in court."

Mrs Hussain covered her entire face apart from her eyes when she faced the three magistrates.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6254506.stm

"She suffered hurt feelings and felt intimidated and deeply embarrassed by the treatment she received at court.

"She is also concerned for the feelings of others who were present in court."
    What can be said for the person whos property she damaged?

I think its time they banned veils in all public places. Lets face it its not part of thier religion. Neither are silver ring things for Christians.

Bloody relgions.

Comment

I missed this. I think these people like the christian cross woman are just out to make trouble. Rules are rules. I was in the (in) queue at Gatwick some months back and a veiled woman was towards the back of the queue, many of us watched out of curiosity. Despite much protestation and now being the only one left with by now most others watching, she eventually had to lift to reveal her face to all and was eagerly applauded, she was not amused.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        What can be said for the person whos property she damaged?
        Allegedly - or she wouldn't be up before the magistrates...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          Allegedly - or she wouldn't be up before the magistrates...
          The point of this is that no-one's religion is above the law of this land or is judicial procedures.

For the defendant to claim to be "distressed" over the incident is simply slapping on the victimhood-whinge routine with a trowel.

Comment

Personally I think all women who go before magistrates should have get their baps out, and all men should get be required to show their todger. After all it's just a body part that you're embarrased about showing in public - just as other cultures define other areas of the body that are regarded as embarrasing to show in public.

Comment

Personally I think all women who go before magistrates should have get their baps out, and all men should get be required to show their todger. After all it's just a body part that you're embarrased about showing in public - just as other cultures define other areas of the body that are regarded as embarrasing to show in public.
              Are you telling us you're a bi-magistrate?

Comment

Give me strength. Just goes to show the wonders of the comprehensive education system.

Suggest you look up the etymology of the word "testify".
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Suggest you look up the etymology of the word "testify".
                  From the OED:-

testify

• verb (testifies, testified) 1 give evidence as a witness in a law court. 2 serve as evidence or proof: luxurious villas testify to the wealth here.

— ORIGIN Latin testificari, from testis ‘a witness’.

What's your point?

Comment

From the OED:-

testify

• verb (testifies, testified) 1 give evidence as a witness in a law court. 2 serve as evidence or proof: luxurious villas testify to the wealth here.

— ORIGIN Latin testificari, from testis ‘a witness’.

What's your point?
                    In ancient times witnesses in court used to swear while holding their balls, i.e. by something precious to them. That's why the Latin word is the same as testicle.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X