• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do when you get that sinking feeling?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when you get that sinking feeling?

Hi

This week I though I was really going to win.

I had six interviews for four different clients

The one I wanted just blew me out, because I did not have enough PL/SQL experience as well as strong Java. I did a face-2-face for it yesterday afternoon.

The one that I don't want, I think I am still in there for.

The one that is a different sector than what I really want still has me on the cards for interview next week.

The other one that I interviewed for yesterday morning I made a mistake of coding the wrong design. I took too long doing it and the manager blew me out.

Today I feel really like a dog! I think what is the point of it all really and I feel miserable even though I have been through this situation plenty of times before.

I know I must keep going ... but it is really hard to keep the faith ...

Still on the bench then I thought I'd be off it by now ... motha......

Cheer up mate. It could be worse, you could be el duder.

Comment

Contracting is to employment what the phrase "dont gamble anything you cant afford to lose" is to card games.

Have a good plan B.

I've been on the bench coming up 3 months now. Not fussed in the slightest. a) turned down a contract or two. b) got a good polan B on the go.

Comment

serves you right for playing through a rocktron. everybody knows that mesa are the only gig in town.

but seriously, keep going. we all have days like that.

Comment

The crap gigs are always the easiest to get. Chin up, that which does not kill me makes me stronger* etc.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
            serves you right for playing through a rocktron. everybody knows that mesa are the only gig in town.

but seriously, keep going. we all have days like that.
            Thanks everybody for your kind support. I will keep the faith. I really appreciate all your words.

Because even the CEO at the top needs someone to talk to sometimes.

Comment

My thoughts are that it is a lot more competetive out there than it used to be. Plenty of monkeys will do your work for peanuts.

An agent that I spoke to recently says that she sees a lot of people out for a couple of months at a time between gigs.

I struggled at the back end of last year and got a perm job (I know) and am trying to get some updated skills on the go (crappy certs etc. but every little helps).

Will I go back contracting now I've crossed the divide? I'll see, but you need to be prepared for time out it seems these days.

Comment

Flippant I know

For that sinking feeling

Good luck BTW
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Keep going Rocktron, it is tough sometimes, but you are getting the interviews, so eventually it will pan out. I was on the bench for several months, and when my following contract was coming to an end, I was quite looking forward to another few months on the bench, but unfortunately I found another contract. So try and enjoy it. The main thing is interest, even if it takes a while.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X