• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Country hopping tax exile?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country hopping tax exile?

Hey all - this is a great Forum you have here. I have been a contractor since 1995 and am learning a lot from you guys

Searching already found a few similar posts which helped a lot, does anyone think this idea is crazy. I am a UK citizen, but not been to the UK since 2002 (other a few days here and there); instead I have enjoyed the low taxes in the USA. This year and some of 2008 I intend to take a few contracts in Europe and not stay in any one country long enough to be tax resident.

This seems to be legal:
    . Have an offshore company in a low tax nation, and NEVER move any earned income back to the UK/ Germany/ wherever
    . Don't spend more than 183 days in a single country (i.e. become a tax exile like the Spice Girls did in the 90's)
    . Live off savings while in Europe
    . All dividends will be paid in the offshore country and probably just sit there until I retire
    . If necessary I'll burn the rest of 2008 up as vacation doing a world tour before return to the US in 2009 and reestablishing my Green Card

Years ago I worked in Zürich and if the above won't wash I'll just go back there for a year or two and pay ~14% tax (IIRC).

The main reason for all this is so my American wife can see Europe - I already have a UK work permit for her (it cost GBP 500 )
    Last edited by GypsyCoder; 29 June 2007, 21:19.

Working...
X